• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

A Common problem

StalkingEye

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
A common problem with most game devs on diamondfire is that they never finish a project. I have a few tips that could probably help!
1: Dont overwork yourself, this is a problem i have done many times before, and it just makes you lose motivation
2: Take breaks every now and then, this will definitely help to refresh your motivation on projects, the break can be as long as you want
3: Try to have fun working on your projects, this also helped me a lot with a few of my projects (Magical Competition, Hallways)
4: If you dont have fun working on a project, then you could delete it, or maybe try to work on it sometime later!

Jimmy_The_Knight

Reaction score
I would say that I mostly agree with this, maybe apart from deleting your projects (you might gain motivation to work on them or even finish them, or you might want to reuse some of your old code in a new project)

Here are a few tips from my experience that helped me finish my games:

1: Make sure you have some kind of small pressure on you that isn't in your control. What I mean by that is something like a game jam deadline, an appearance in a winter / summer direct with a promised (vague) deadline, or simply just a promise to some of your online friends ('I will finish the game by...'). Deliberately putting yourself in a slightly stressful situation might sound like a bad idea at first, but it gives you the push you need to finish your stuff.

2: Always have at least ~70% of your game planned (even written down, though I'm usually not that organized) before even claiming your plot. This includes game mechanics, the progression system, the general vibe / builds, story, etc. If you establish concrete goals before you even start then you'll now exactly where you are at development, what mechanics you need to implement next and how those mechanics will interact with each other.

3: Design your game from the bottom up, meaning that you should code the core game mechanics of your game first that the player can immediately interact with, and polish them until they feel really good to use (like movement mechanics, weapons, gadgets). If your game is immediately fun just after the first day of development then you'll have a much easier time convincing yourself that the project is worth dedicating your time to. The problem with starting out with detailed builds or coding robust systems (quest systems or level generation) is that the game will be less satisfying to interact with for a very long time, which can make you lose interest quickly.

4: If you feel like you are out of ideas or burnt out, then I'd recommend taking a break and doing something that's (slightly) out of your comfort zone. Playing new games or watching movies / shows you have never seen can bless you with inspiration by introducing you to different perspectives on how to make your games thematically and mechanically more outstanding. Sometimes even something like going for a walk helps to get your thoughts and ideas together.

Last edited:

superbaconbro

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
another tip:
don't get banned (real)
take a shower (also helps with game ideas)
play other video games (also helps with game ideas)

one of my bad ideas is an FPS game (with some overwatch like mechanics) but it's American Football, and I got that idea from the LoL repellent.

Top Bottom