• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

developing games is no longer fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sludsVEVO

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
this is gonna be a long thread. none of you probably care, but i'm probably never going to release a game again. this isn't because of stress like the last time, but pure demotivation.

part of it is "skyminer bad" mentality, and part of it is that i've been on this server for 5+ years of my life at this point. just to give that some scope, when i joined this server, i was 11. in may, i turned 16. i've spent a large portion of my life placing code blocks on this server.

enough about me and my life, let's get to my problems with diamondfire and why i don't enjoy it anymore.

back in may, i had a mental breakdown. this was the period where i cleared cactus king, gave my major plots away, etc. some of it was my struggles with moderation, some of it was the struggles of being as known of a figure on this server as i am, and some of it was external parts of my life and my own underlying mental problems.

but it made me realize that i wasn't really playing diamondfire for myself anymore. so a few days later, i started a project that i had tried to make several times before, but had always fallen flat on it's face. i started "VAST", an MMORPG game based on exploration, similar to hypixel skyblock. for a couple of weeks, i enjoyed working on this game, but i had began to face large spikes of demotivation. and that was due to the community's behavior nowadays of hopping from game to game without really taking the time to understand a more intricate game.

this basically happened a few times over, with me helping with LooserRIP's LAPGC4 game, to other failed projects of mine, and then finally i gave up and decided to keep updating Cactus King, the one game of mine that the community still cared about. sure enough, every time a new game comes out, Cactus King is overshadowed. this is understandable since the game is so old, but it's still demotivating to release a large update and then have people, y'know, care about it for a day and then move on to the next new game.

don't take this rant as me quitting; we'll see what happens. i just wanted to vent out my frustrations with what feels like an endless cycle of demotivation at this point. i've been focusing a lot of my time on things outside of diamondfire lately, and i've been enjoying myself a lot more. i'll probably be less active, but again, who knows. maybe my motivation could come back again and i'll make Cactus King 3 and the cycle will repeat again. one thing is for sure though, if i do anything on the server, it's gonna be for my own enjoyment, and not the community's satisfaction.

- sluds

Max

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
yeah it kinda sucks to have your game overshadowed by something else but you should make your games for you, not fit the community, and your did say that in your post, but don't let the community's behavior demotivate the development of vast, make it anyways because it'll be *your* creation, and *your* art.

stinkey

Forum adept
Reaction score
science, math, and physics are always fun, if you have nothing else to work on

xtreemes

Reaction score
fully agree.

people not even taking 5 seconds to learn a complicated detail about something you made can be super frustrating. someone will join my plot and instantly leave just because i didnt shove everything right in front of their face the instant they joined, or because it isn't simple enough for their pea sized brain.

i started learning lua so i can make games for my friends and my brother on roblox, and its been really fun so far. there's so much more you can do, and a lot of what i already know kinda transferred over to it. with a much bigger community on their platform, i would expect more competent people on there so idk i just started learning lua.

basically, i'd suggest learning a new coding language that is easily accessible for other people to try your stuff.

LooserRIP

Notorious member
Overlord
Reaction score
nothing i disagree with in this post
making LAPGC4 isn't as fun anymore because of the thought that a new game would come out a day after it and get a higher peak of players than any plot of mine *ever* will.

seeing the community do competitive tasteless stuff such as "70k cp for next giveaway" ruins the idea of creator points for me

and the new updates that are soon to be on DF are scaring me and keeping me away from participating in any new projects

those are the 3 issues that i'm experiencing at the moment on DF and they greatly demotivate me. Fortunately, i've got dedicated playerbases and good friends & feedback which keeps me going.

KidWolf21

Reaction score
i started learning lua so i can make games for my friends and my brother on roblox
I've been thinking about learning lua because as the person who posted this thread said, some new game is going to instantly overshadow yours and if it's too complicated, people won't stay for more than a minute. It makes making huge games feel pointless.

HypeFoxYT_

Reaction score
Honestly, I can't disagree OR agree with this post.
My opinion is completely blank for this.

There isn't really anything I can say, because I know how annoying making these plots is, but there is just something that always shows up for me, and that's the fact that I just like coding and make games on DF. You may disagree with me, and that's fine. I'm just sharing my opinion.

HypeFoxYT_

Reaction score
yeah it kinda sucks to have your game overshadowed by something else but you should make your games for you, not fit the community, and your did say that in your post, but don't let the community's behavior demotivate the development of vast, make it anyways because it'll be *your* creation, and *your* art.
I completely agree with you Max.
If your plot is unique and in YOUR style and it's YOUR creation, you should be proud.
It doesn't matter if it gets you like 1,000 CP every hour or only 100 CP every week, it's YOUR plot.
You made it. You should be proud of that. If it's unique, than that's good.
It won't matter if it's on trending or ANYTHING.
As long as it's unique, you should be proud and go for it, making those plots.
And as I said above, it can be annoying, but it shouldn't matter. You SHOULD make plots. It pushes you to make more unique games, and you start to think more outside the box, and eventually, you'll make a game that everyone likes.

Requals

Disabled
Overlord
Reaction score
fully agree.

people not even taking 5 seconds to learn a complicated detail about something you made can be super frustrating. someone will join my plot and instantly leave just because i didnt shove everything right in front of their face the instant they joined, or because it isn't simple enough for their pea sized brain.

i started learning lua so i can make games for my friends and my brother on roblox, and its been really fun so far. there's so much more you can do, and a lot of what i already know kinda transferred over to it. with a much bigger community on their platform, i would expect more competent people on there so idk i just started learning lua.

basically, i'd suggest learning a new coding language that is easily accessible for other people to try your stuff.
lmao same i started learning lua too

stinkey

Forum adept
Reaction score
lua syntax sucks

RolandMC123

Forum adept
Reaction score
good point sluds

on a sidenote, roblox studio is easy to learn if you already know a programming language, I got all of the Lua-U syntax down in like 3 days and then you just gotta understand some simple concepts like object hierarchy, local / server scripts and the services, roblox provides many official resources for learning that. if you know those, then you can pretty much make anything except some more advanced mechanics like weapons & pets which require knowledge abt animations and stuff

TechStreet

Overlord
Reaction score
good point sluds

on a sidenote, roblox studio is easy to learn if you already know a programming language, I got all of the Lua-U syntax down in like 3 days and then you just gotta understand some simple concepts like object hierarchy, local / server scripts and the services, roblox provides many official resources for learning that. if you know those, then you can pretty much make anything except some more advanced mechanics like weapons & pets which require knowledge abt animations and stuff
lmfao why do u still have support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom