• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

DF Copypasta Archive

ARMcPro

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
This will be a collection of df's copypastas.
Do you know a copypasta that isn't here? comment it so I add it!
y'all need to stop with this softcoding stuff: You're generally referring to removing repeated code – and yes, this a good thing, normally. However, there are two issues with the attitude around this. First, not every situation mandates this kind of code structure. This is especially true of smaller games made by newer developers. We shouldn't avoid adding certain QOL features simply because in a "properly" coded game it isn't necessary. This second point doesn't apply specifically to this conversation but I see it coming up frequently so here goes: a lot of people take this way too far. I have seen so many plots where they do crazy things like spawn items on the ground to load information and whatnot. This is not good. Don't sacrifice code legibility and efficiency simply because they believe it makes coding experience easier. There is a delicate balance between well designed, easy to maintain, and efficient code. Softcoding is not always the way to achieve this balance. So please, just think about the systems you're designing and whether or not anything is actually improved. tl;dr elitism through "better practice" / softcoding doesn't help, and often it isn't the right answer
I Need 5 Players For A DF God Team We Will Congor Anygame We Will Congor Them ALL If you are interested Dm me Mic Needed
@someone, here is a spicy challenge. Avoid the #reports channel for 10 minutes, I know it will be hard. But you have to try man
hah, you must think you're so good for killing people with worse gear than you have, look kid, i know all you want is to feel superior per say, or the best, but for real, just let other people play, would you like it if somebody did it to you?
My Suggestion: Add Loader, Begin Loader and If Event -Loader: is gonna be the process and the function but, you can make ticks without placing tha Wait block, you can change the ticks and you can change how he's gonna start like, with a time or not with a event or not and other -Begin Loader: he start the loader ;-;, but you can change the system, you can change if you to continue the code and do the loader or skip the code and do the loader -If Event: it's a special event thats only starts when a code is executed like: he just start when the code, for example, begins the if player, and you can change that type of code you want, in what floor, what type and whats inside
Get rid of build areas Something has always annoyed me in DF, that being build areas. Build areas aren't very good because they detract from DiamondFire's main focus, that being coding. People who use these areas (""builders"") always end up not caring about the code at all. In my opinion, these ""people"" known as ""builders"" always end up making something overpowering the code in the plot, which is the REAL effort. ""Builders"" want people to recognize them as people who put effort into their things, but in reality, all they do is just place some blocks around. They claim that they put ""effort"" into what they built. This is obviously not true as anyone can place blocks down. These ""builders"" are trying to ruin DF by throwing aside what makes DF special: code. This is why we should strike at the source, build areas. We should get rid of build areas and ban all of these so-called ""builders"".
Who made this map? To whoever made this map... this is, I'm speaking directly to you.
Why
Why would you put that there
Do you think that that makes for good gameplay
Do you think that this is... enjoyable for people
Was this a mistake? Did you forget to place down some blocks? It's ok. We all make mistakes.
Do not ping us again or we'll need to remove you from Discord.
honestly softcoding has had a hard time in df

like most of the discussion about softcoding comes from concerns about the 'elitism' that it creates but in reality most of the elitism surrounding softcoding is from people who wanna overprotect the term when its perfectly natural to use it how df players have chose to use it

like how many times you seen some advanced level coder moan and groan like 'its only allowed to be used when talking about keeping constants outside of code... thats what oxford.com says' and its so frustrating, like its completely fine to apply softcoding to just code that feels 'softer' (easier to form and reshape yknow). use words how they make sense to. nobody except a pedant is gonna need to call you out for it. if somebody actually DO feel the need to get offended because a word isnt used how the dictionary (which im sure they should know is descriptive not perscriptive) then thats honestly their problem

even worse theres often concerns that people using the term softcoding is somehow degrading code quality, as in if left uncorrected then players code will get worse. this is kinda mean to the word itself, you just shot the messenger. whether you call it softcoding, leetcoding, or crispy cronchy cracker jacker munchies then its still the same set of ideas & goals that you wanna apply to your code

one last thing i want to touch on is something I've fallen victim to in the past is that often times overdoing soft coding is completely okay. thats right, go right ahead and use item shenanigans to store your data in your plot. a lot of the times you're doing solo work and just doing it for fun, it really is fine to go overboard and make a crazy system because if youre up to it, those can be some of the most satisfying to design and implement. what players demean as softcoding in the back end is just called polish in the front end

tldr softcoding is really okay and is just used as a scapegoat by true df elitists
You're leaving DF?
Not trying to be mean, but who actually cares?
What is it precisely that you contributed to the "DF Scene" that would make people upset that you're leaving?
"Sputt Time" is considered a Combat, Resources, and Roleplay type of plot located on Node 2 under the ID number: 21750 and is owned/created by Sputt, who is a former staff member (Retired) with the assistance of a few people who are unable to be named.
skyminer bad
what if we kissed... on sputt time... haha jk... unless?
1676367192143.png
Hi. Used to be an active community member, no longer am. Popping in to talk about the VIP pass. I don't think it's a TERRIBLE idea, especially if all perks have to be EULA compliant, but it does have to be handled with... care. It's easy for this kind of thing to get out of hand. DF itself needs somewhat of a revenue stream to keep going, and I'm all for the talented folks still creating for this server getting rewarded for their efforts. But again, THIS HAS TO BE HANDLED WITH CARE. I am BEGGING you, Jeremaster, and plot developers, DON'T SCREW THIS UP. Keep it purely cosmetic, make sure it does indeed stick to the EULA, and for the love of god, don't make people feel bad cause they don't want to pay up for cosmetics, this isn't Fortnite. I will say, SOME OF THE PERKS YOU'VE ALREADY REVEALED ARE VERY P2W, EVEN IF YOU DON'T MEAN IT, so you MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THAT OUT. FURTHERMORE, as-is, the system isn't perfect. As we can see, people are already finding bugs, and the base concept needs some work as well. Listen to your community, consider all sides, or else any of the actually talented and intelligent people are gonna pack their bags.

Last edited:

RolandMC123

Forum adept
Reaction score
Add Loader, Begin Loader and If Event -Loader: is gonna be the process and the function but, you can make ticks without placing tha Wait block, you can change the ticks and you can change how he's gonna start like, with a time or not with a event or not and other -Begin Loader: he start the loader ;-;, but you can change the system, you can change if you to continue the code and do the loader or skip the code and do the loader -If Event: it's a special event thats only starts when a code is executed like: he just start when the code, for example, begins the if player, and you can change that type of code you want, in what floor, what type and whats inside

Synsao

Emperor
Reaction score
Who made this map? To whoever made this map... this is, I'm speaking directly to you.
Why
Why would you put that there
Do you think that that makes for good gameplay
Do you think that this is... enjoyable for people
Was this a mistake? Did you forget to place down some blocks? It's ok. We all make mistakes.

Shorter version:
Do you think that that makes for good gameplay? Do you think that this is... enjoyable for people? Was this a mistake? Did you forget to place down some blocks? It's ok. We all make mistakes.

Synsao

Emperor
Reaction score
Do NOT ping us again or we'll need to remove you from Discord.

Synsao

Emperor
Reaction score
honestly softcoding has had a hard time in df

like most of the discussion about softcoding comes from concerns about the 'elitism' that it creates but in reality most of the elitism surrounding softcoding is from people who wanna overprotect the term when its perfectly natural to use it how df players have chose to use it

like how many times you seen some advanced level coder moan and groan like 'its only allowed to be used when talking about keeping constants outside of code... thats what oxford.com says' and its so frustrating, like its completely fine to apply softcoding to just code that feels 'softer' (easier to form and reshape yknow). use words how they make sense to. nobody except a pedant is gonna need to call you out for it. if somebody actually DO feel the need to get offended because a word isnt used how the dictionary (which im sure they should know is descriptive not perscriptive) then thats honestly their problem

even worse theres often concerns that people using the term softcoding is somehow degrading code quality, as in if left uncorrected then players code will get worse. this is kinda mean to the word itself, you just shot the messenger. whether you call it softcoding, leetcoding, or crispy cronchy cracker jacker munchies then its still the same set of ideas & goals that you wanna apply to your code

one last thing i want to touch on is something I've fallen victim to in the past is that often times overdoing soft coding is completely okay. thats right, go right ahead and use item shenanigans to store your data in your plot. a lot of the times you're doing solo work and just doing it for fun, it really is fine to go overboard and make a crazy system because if youre up to it, those can be some of the most satisfying to design and implement. what players demean as softcoding in the back end is just called polish in the front end

tldr softcoding is really okay and is just used as a scapegoat by true df elitists

Synsao

Emperor
Reaction score
Do you think that that makes for good softcoding stuff? Do you think that you started... the loader ;-;? Was this a burning spine?

Synsao

Emperor
Reaction score
Jere,
Please add softcode block.
This will run through your code, and softcode it.
Also, IF softcode (if statement). This Will detect softcode.

This is good for multiple reasons: it won't change your plot code space or code.

Also, NOT arrow makes it hardcoded.

K bye thx

ARMcPro

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
More suggestion1!!:

hey kid wanna buy quizzles base coords and how to get in, plus where the chests are located, for only 125k?
no, you can't just say things taht you posted and expect to be added 😭
+ we need popular stuff 💀

Top Bottom