• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Player Action: Set Chat Mode

Sean

Sets the selected player's chat mode (Global, Local, None)

It doesn't sound like a good idea just looking at it, but it would be so, so, so helpful for murder mystery plots.
Benifits:
- You can stop players from messaging eachother in-game (With chat none)
- You can force players to use custom chat methods in a better way than &k (With chat none)
- You can stop players from seeing public chat (With chat local/none, good for text-based games)

This has the potential to be annoying, but overall I'd say it's a positive feature.

K_Sasha

Server Developer
Developer
The use cases for this feature should be covered by the chat event we have planned. Well, except for private messaging. I'm not really sure what to do about private messaging other players on the plot. The best solution is likely to just add an action specifically for enabling or disabling private messaging.

Vulcanowo

The use cases for this feature should be covered by the chat event we have planned. Well, except for private messaging. I'm not really sure what to do about private messaging other players on the plot. The best solution is likely to just add an action specifically for enabling or disabling private messaging.
This could definitely be abused, but are extremely useful, what are you going to do about abuse though?

RDM

SrMod / Expert
I'm interested in this become a reality, but I would much rather see it be optional, so like, no Set Chat: None spam lol. Maybe to avoid that, set chat mode could have some arbitrary cooldown length for every player. It should also let the player know that their chat has been changed. I get folks want to avoid ppl spoiling the fun but also I want to avoid having my chat and private messages be disabled or controlled haha (not only is it necessary on my part as a staff member to have effective communication, but I enjoy having discussions with people on different plots).

Looking at your suggestion as it is though, a vote kick would work better. It won't do very much for spoiling the game through /msg, but it's a lot less problematic all-around. Kick ppl for spoiling stuff, automatic ban after X kicks, etc.

Last edited:

General_Mudkip

Yeah exactly, controlling chat is a bit iffy already for me, but private messages really shouldn't be controllable by the plot owner.

Sean

A way to disable messaging people would be nice, but as others have pointed out, they like to have good communication, so perhaps the setting could disable messaging other people on the same plot specifically?

Yudo

I think a good implementation of this would be something like:

Player Action: Set Chat Type (2 Tags)

Tag 1
Chat Type: Local, Global, None

Tag 2
Lock Chat: True (/c is disabled), False (/c is enabled, players can change chat)

K_Sasha

Server Developer
Developer
It seems I didn't make that very clear. If an action to toggle private messaging were added, it would only affect messages sent to other players on the plot. Since there is a small amount of plots which would find this useful, I do not think this will become much of a nuisance. If it does become a problem, then we could make the action more restricted, or something like that.

As for abuse of the chat event, the user would be notified when the plot cancels or modifies their message. If a message is modified or cancelled it would probably not be sent to the rest of the server (just because that would get confusing, you would not know what you said). However, it is possible I could add a command to send a chat message to the rest of the server, and not to the plot.

Sean

It seems I didn't make that very clear. If an action to toggle private messaging were added, it would only affect messages sent to other players on the plot. Since there is a small amount of plots which would find this useful, I do not think this will become much of a nuisance. If it does become a problem, then we could make the action more restricted, or something like that.

As for abuse of the chat event, the user would be notified when the plot cancels or modifies their message. If a message is modified or cancelled it would probably not be sent to the rest of the server (just because that would get confusing, you would not know what you said). However, it is possible I could add a command to send a chat message to the rest of the server, and not to the plot.
Sounds good! :)

SealedKiller

Support
Helper
What about games that want to have a custom chat system? Getting a message that your message has been edited/cancelled for each chat message would really disallow players to make custom chat systems..

Zyborg

What about disabling private messaging with people on the plot, but allowed if they are on other plots.

Top Bottom