• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

do i require discord to apply for mod?

birdman5454

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
do i require discord to apply for mod?

Last edited:

ryanroo2

Staff Manager
Administrator
Reaction score
It is technically not required, but not having discord will severely hurt your chances, both because its our primary form of communication, and almost every other applicant does have discord.

birdman5454

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
It is technically not required, but not having discord will severely hurt your chances, both because its our primary form of communication, and almost every other applicant does have discord.
ok that sucks

ARMcPro

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
what no... it IS required
1662114186855.png
Discord Tag is a Required for applying and the description is saying you are required to have access to the DiamondFire's official discord

Frizou

Reaction score
also nobody cares abt age just use a fake bday
Thats illegal, and since birdman just said hes under 13, the staff legally can't allow him on the discord server and need to report him unless proved otherwise (staff on discord server could get in some real shit simply for birdman being in the discord server)

(also, personally i do not think it would be responsible to make someone under at least 16 a moderator of a server like this, but thats more on my side of things)

Last edited:

Bee

Overlord
Reaction score
Thats illegal, and since birdman just said hes under 13, the staff legally can't allow him on the discord server and need to report him unless proved otherwise (staff on discord server could get in some real shit simply for birdman being in the discord server)

(also, personally i do not think it would be responsible to make someone under at least 16 a moderator of a server like this, but thats more on my side of things)
fair point but they have hired moderaters under 16 many times before (xtreemes is 15 and was 14 when hired)

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
To provide clarity for y'all on the underage stuff, since there seems to be some confusion on whether or not it matters if you put an older age, there's actually a lot of truth to it especially with how big DiamondFire is now. Let me explain but get ready for a lot of legal jargon. Not for the consequences for whoever registers, it's more about how it can affect DiamondFire if someone is below Discord's ToS age limit for that country, and if an underaged user slips and admits their age, that can result in the administration being hit by Discord. It generally all seems innocent and not that big of a deal, until you take a deeper look with how it is setup.

Appliance to COPPA​

It is a tricky situation because of COPPA and how Discord's and DiamondFire's appliance to it works... think of it this way:
  • Discord follows COPPA law and if Discord has a misstep with underage users, let's say a COPPA violation which doesn't look good, they will have legality issues with the FTC, the Federal Trade Commission.
  • But if the administration missteps - will have issues with Discord because Discord must enforce it, otherwise they will be held accountable by the FTC and be hit with a violation if they aren't going under their guidelines.
  • The reality of the situation is I believe Discord started cracking down more on underage users and their connection with server owners at some point, this is why it's relevant. People put an older age all the time, but the real mess comes in with a statement Discord officials made:
1662698314804.png

Now y'all probably see why now. DiamondFire's main chat platform or Jere's account could be terminated by a simple slip up if they know whoever is underage, because Discord has to enforce this. @Frizou does bring up a great point. I say this here because staff are more likely to be targeted, it's pretty much facts at this point lol, and their status is bolstered up and the dynamic changes a little bit because of that. In a situation where something like that happens, it could impact the DF organization. As an example, if Jere knows someone is underage, but doesn't turn them in to Discord's Trust & Safety team, and the underaged user slips up and it is reviewed by Discord's team, it won't look good. This is for educational purposes, and I'm not encouraging this - if you set your age higher do stick with it. Stay cautious, Discord does take this seriously, especially with COPPA... otherwise if Discord didn't take action, then themselves would get in legal trouble.

Conclusion​

But yeah, it helps to have Discord as a platform because of daily internal staff conversations but to those who are underage - stay cautious. Main summary: don't slip up and you're generally fine lol, this shouldn't scare anyone from registering either. But, with how Discord is community-based, it poses a great risk in jeopardizing things, especially if DF officials ever admit to something like that. You all would probably be surprised in knowing how many accounts got terminated within the DiamondFire Discord alone for being underage. If DiamondFire is connected to it, then that's where things really get complicated. With how they enforce things, it really comes down to if it's worth that risk.

If you made it to the end, phew. I am not a lawyer or staff member, so if anyone has questions def ask someone who is. This is all I know about the implications; I don't know much else, only throwing in what I know to clear up the confusion lol

Last edited:

birdman5454

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
It is a tricky situation because of COPPA and Discord's appliance to it. Think of it this way - if Discord missteps, will have legality issues with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The administration missteps - will have issues with Discord because Discord would be held accountable by the FTC. But the reality of the situation is I believe Discord started cracking down more on underage users and their connection with server owners at some point. "If a server owner is aware and ignores it, we will take action on the server and/or owner." Now y'all probably see why now. So Frizou does bring up a great point

In a situation where something like that happens, it doesn't look good and it could impact the organization if they were held accountable. I'm talking like possible account termination for Jeremaster in this case. This is for educational purposes, and I'm not encouraging this - if you set your age higher do stick with it and stay cautious, Discord does take this seriously, especially with COPPA, otherwise Discord themselves would get in legal trouble. But yeah it helps to have Discord as a platform because of daily internal staff conversations but stay cautious if underage, that's my advice! Be smart about it :). Not to scare away anyone from registering - just wanted to mention why it's taken seriously on the administration side of things because of the implications, since it would fall back onto the administration. You all can check your country status for Terms of Service compliance here
ye im done trying

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
ye im done trying
Don't feel too discouraged though! It's actually awesome that it gauged your interest fr. I genuinely think that if you want to help enforce the rules to keep it a positive atmosphere, and you put your mind to it, that you'll eventually get there in time. Then in that time you will start gaining more experience to help you along the way

What I did before I came here was moderate other servers, and I was really young. That was 2014, so about 8 or 9 years ago, so I must have been 12 or 13, but I gained a sense of experience with the time I had, this was before my mod position here. It helped me understand more about morals and making the right choices, and about how detrimental and helpful communication and teamwork is. Building up your experience with it now, so if this interests you, then it could be an idea! So, you get a sense of what it's like and how you can improve, then it possibly helping improve your chances. To all of those who do want to become a mod: do play with moderating if you haven't already! Moderate servers or websites, etc. and when the right time comes you all will be ready. I feel like it pays off, because even if you all don't get the position, you learnt some valuable skills, and there's always a next time

Last edited:

birdman5454

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
Don't feel too discouraged though! It's actually awesome that it gauged your interest fr. I genuinely think that if you want to help enforce the rules to keep it a positive atmosphere, and you put your mind to it, that you'll eventually get there in time. Then in that time you will start gaining more experience to help you along the way

What I did before I came here was moderate other servers, and I was really young. That was 2014, so about 8 or 9 years ago, so I must have been 12 or 13, but I gained a sense of experience with the time I had, this was before my mod position here. It helped me understand more about morals and making the right choices, and about how detrimental and helpful communication and teamwork is. Building up your experience with it now, so if this interests you, then it could be an idea! So, you get a sense of what it's like and how you can improve, then it possibly helping improve your chances. To all of those who do want to become a mod: do play with moderating if you haven't already! Moderate servers or websites, etc. and when the right time comes you all will be ready. I feel like it pays off, because even if you all don't get the position, you learnt some valuable skills, and there's always a next time
ok

Last edited:
Top Bottom