• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Game Jam Data Analysis

EmeralDev

Forum adept
Reaction score
This is an analysis of the data from the thread https://mcdiamondfire.com/threads/game-jam-in-depth-analysis.1108/#post-9819 I'm only going to analyze the top 5 and the plots which I think are deserving of top 5.

Starting with Crumble's scores, everything seems pretty similar to what I would put, but for some reason it got 8th place in "Theme". I really don't see why this is the case, as some other games which didn't follow the theme as well placed higher.

Next, file deleting seems a little high for what I would put, and perhaps the theme is ranked a little too high as well. In my opinion "So, You Are a Virus" should've gotten first place in terms of theme, but 3rd isn't that far off.

Depths got 7th in theme, which is around where I'd put it, but its creativity ranked too low in my opinion (There aren't that many stealth games on df). I do think the gameplay is a little high as the core gameplay loop is somewhat repetitive and fairly linear.

So, You Are a Virus definitely should've scored higher in both the creativity and aesthetic categories. The concept is fairly unique and the game might not have impressive builds, but the color design is definitely not deserving of 11th place.

I don't want to target the creator of He Almost Killed Me as the story of the game is good and the gameplay is simple and fun, but how this game got 5th place is beyond me. The plot is essentially a basic parkour game, and the story is where the game really shines, but this is a game development competition, not a story competition. The story definitely adds to the game, but this shouldn't give it a 5th place in aesthetics and a 4th place in theme. Again, the game itself is fun and the story is great, but the game is lacking mechanics that add to the theme.

So how do I think the games should've been ranked?

1st: Crumble - This game definitely deserves 1st place. The moment-to-moment gameplay is lacking a bit, but overall fun and interesting to look at. Also follows the theme very well.

2nd: Depths - While the game doesn't follow the theme too closely, it more than makes up for it with nice aesthetics and a cool main mechanic.

3rd: Limited Access Memory - Yes. I am ranking my own game 4 spots above what the judges rated it. I am completely aware that this might be my own bias, but this game was voted #1 in the jam by the community. I'm not going to give any reason as to why I'm putting it here as that would most likely be biased, but if the community thinks it deserves #1, I'm going to give it at least 3.

4th: So, You are a Virus - This game was fun to try to master (although perhaps a bit too challenging for me). It was a nice break from the oversaturation of parkours when I was playing through the jam games. It takes a bit to pick up but once you do it becomes a mad scramble to get to the cpu room before you hit max usage.

5th: File Deleting - This got 2nd in the jam. It was pretty fun to play but was really just an inverted "lava rising" game. While it might fit the theme the best out of all the plots, It doesn't really put a creative twist on it.

Remember: this is all just my opinion, and I am most likely biased. I really do think some games didn't get the spot they deserved and the events team didn't really show any sign of wanting to prevent that in future jams. I'm posting this right now to hopefully get some more opinions on this. Make sure to comment what placement you think these games deserved and why :)

Top Bottom