• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Skyminers

MineOrDie_

Overlord
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, may I know what makes Skyminers popular and so "fun"? (I'm not criticizing, just being curious)

I mean, it's just breaking blocks without even being able to place them, a few basic crafting (mostly vanilla) and a bit of pvp, nothing more right ?
Apart from the pvp, there's no real challenge, nothing more than just grinding .-.

Illucination

Overlord
Reaction score
I think we're all asking this question right now. In fact, I have joined many, many skyminers, and simply asked "why". Why make them. Why play them. No word of a lie, the best answer I have ever gotten is - and I quote- "idk". I think even the people that play them are stumped as to why they're on them in the first place. One explanation could be that they have no real standards, because they've only ever seen skyminers on DF. I really don't know though, and I don't think anyone does.

Henri_Rihard

Reaction score
I may have an idea why.
From what I've experienced, skymine players are often illiterate (I rarely get replies from skymine players even if I send private messages) or just younger children (I've also encountered non-english speakers). They might have a hard time understanding the "High effort" games which tend to be a lot more complex and require reading of tutorials and information.
Essentially the reason is the age of the new players that arrived because of the CommandGeek sponsorship and the simplicity of skymines, have you ever seen a skymine that's not basically vanilla minecraft on resource islands, probably not, by keeping the mechanics as close to vanilla as possible, even these people can understand the objective of the game.
Another reason would be that almost everyone wants to be the center of attention so they replicate what's easy and popular with their minimal coding skills.
And then there are those who just make what's popular for CP.

Frizou

Reaction score
Anyone from the command geek sponsorship who hates skyminers...?
slowly raises hand

More seriously, i think Henri probably has the best explanation, it really makes sense for kids that do not have a full understanding of stuff to go on the more logical, simple and barebone games, thus skyminers being a popular game to a playerbase that apear younger

AbsoluteleyGreen

Reaction score
slowly raises hand

More seriously, i think Henri probably has the best explanation, it really makes sense for kids that do not have a full understanding of stuff to go on the more logical, simple and barebone games, thus skyminers being a popular game to a playerbase that apear younger
Ok

AbsoluteleyGreen

Reaction score
slowly raises hand

Actually, Im from that same young audience, but personally I hate skyminers. They're often filled with bugs (even the biggest ones, example: Skyminer++) and in that same game, you can get diamonds with your fist .-.

Frizou

Reaction score
Actually, Im from that same young audience, but personally I hate skyminers. They're often filled with bugs (even the biggest ones, example: Skyminer++) and in that same game, you can get diamonds with your fist .-.
there are obviously exceptions, i was talking in general, but yes, they aren't well designed most of the time

PhoenixFire18

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
I don’t think that age is the only factor. For instance, simplicity is a huge factor (for players and creators). Instead of figuring out how to play/code a complex game, it’s far easier to play/code a simple Skyminer. It’s a scenario where Occam’s Razor applies (sort of) in which simpler is better. It’s the same reason Mario sells a hundred times more than any RPG. Plus, if you know how to play Minecraft, you can play a Skyminer.

Frizou

Reaction score
but most players would like a more engaging and complex game than a very, very simple skyminer that can become boring quickly to the average playerbase that understands more complex games
but for the code stide of things, i really do not agree, most people who do not know how to code will try stuff, and to my knowledge its probably easier to make a pvp game than a skyminer game

(also how is this conversation so passive ? Thats some never-seen-before on a forum on the internet)

PhoenixFire18

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
but most players would like a more engaging and complex game than a very, very simple skyminer that can become boring quickly to the average playerbase that understands more complex games
but for the code stide of things, i really do not agree, most people who do not know how to code will try stuff, and to my knowledge its probably easier to make a pvp game than a skyminer game

(also how is this conversation so passive ? Thats some never-seen-before on a forum on the internet)
I don’t see why people would want to play them over other games it’s just why I think that Skyminers are popular. (I’m not defending them I am a disliker of Skyminers)
I know that Skyminers aren’t the number one easiest to make but they still require low effort while still being quite popular.
I think this discussion is passive because it isn’t Skyminer enjoyers vs haters it’s just people who dislike it.

quanticpixel

Reaction score
Yeaa i don't get it, I believe it's a loop. people play skyminers, people see that people play them, then they play them. Trend will die at some point until a new one takes its place. I hear a lot of commotion from people about this because of high effort games not getting a lot of traction vs low effort games so adding off what everyone said, making games easy to understand, easy to transition from a vanilla environment and if its a complicated system making it really interactive should help. Because people are so impatient ROFL. I wonder what the next trend will be 😅

birdman5454

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
Anyone from the command geek sponsorship who hates skyminers...?
i came from the command geek sponsorship im happy i found the vid i really enjoy df + i hate skyminers yet i keep playing them i dont know whats wrong with me!!!!

Top Bottom