• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

The Search for Motivation

Maskcraft_

Overlord
Reaction score
Hey all. I make it quick: Does anyone have any tips to stay motivated while making games? I usually get bored of making games like 2 days after I start the project. Sometimes even only 1 day or just some hours later. I really need some sort of technique since some of the concepts I thought of are actually quite unique, but I dropped them cuz of my lack of motivation. So if u have any tips please share them with me, I would really enjoy support. Thank you!!!

Also btw, am I allowed to post a comment on a thread that just says
?

titedog

Reaction score
I just power through it even if it's hell to code it

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
Hey, I learnt some things in therapy relating to motivation so I hope this helps a little bit!

Motivation can be tough to come by. Sometimes you might have a burst of energy at the start, but after starting something, you may lose that energy you once had. And as weird as it might sound, it's normal, and also valid. Upping your motivation can be tough, but everyone can do it, it just takes a lil bit of personal work and it'll be so worth it:

Goals
  • Goals are important to help with your motivation, and to stay motivated. When you are starting a new project, I want you to set small goals. They don't have to be anything huge. Setting large goals outside of your comfort zone may make you lose the motivation and strength you need, and you might think, "I could never do that".
  • The smallest of goals can help you. Once you set small goals, and when you reach them, be sure to celebrate it. Celebrating your successes is a really important thing to make you feel good that you have done something or completed a task. This could potentially give you a little boost that you need to stay motivated.
Remind yourself
  • This is an important one. When you are working on a project, remind yourself for why you are working on it. Take some time to really think. Perhaps consider how fun it would be, and the good that might come out of it once it is finished. Reflecting a little bit and reminding yourself the actual reason can help you stay motivated. Do this frequently, especially when you feel like you are slipping a bit.
Schedule
  • What might help is a schedule. Write down when you will start working, and follow that schedule. And if you think you can't do it, push yourself to do it anyway, for at least a small period of time, such as 10 minutes. Follow this schedule if you can. Starting this routine could help with your motivation.
Don't overwork yourself
  • The last tip I have is to not overwork yourself. Burning yourself out will make it a lot harder to stay motivated, so take it easy, and take it slow. Take frequent breaks when you need it!
Hope this helped.

Maskcraft_

Overlord
Reaction score
Man Thanks. I really lerned some things that might sound interesting. I will give them a try as soon as I see the opportunity for a new game (aka when I get an idea lmao). I really apprieciate that you took the time out of your day to help me and tell me those techniques. Im really thankful for what u did.
-Maskcraft 2021
The question is still not answered...

(no need to answer it btw is a joke question anyway lmao)

Top Bottom