• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

A final thank you

D

Deleted member 26

This little community, this little server, who knew how much of an impact it has on some people.
My time on DF has been short but has been full of adventures and surprises, but the lessons along the way have been something that I will live with for the rest of my life.

I remember my friend inviting me to the server many many years ago, seeing how this was a DIY minigame server in Minecraft I thought that was pretty neat.
1634855346144.png
Starting out small, the most important part of the game wasn't the players, but being able to be with my friend and have fun.
A couple of years later, however, I would revisit this server. Hearing about the new developers being introduced, I thought it would be interesting to unmute some of these channels and watch what happened. Seemingly after that, things spiraled a bit and eventually, I found myself trying to make a JavaScript bot for the df discord. Of course, there were lots of bumps and bruises.
1634855667198.png
Of course, starting on your first project is never pretty.. right?

1634855755729.png
And after pitching the idea, I was very happy when I heard it would be added to the discord. And, who knew how much this little bot would take me.
Being back active on the discord and such, I eventually led myself to want to become part of the staff team.
The staff team, albeit criticized today (it's lovely) I feel was the most important part of the entire server. I was able to connect with other people who had a burning passion for the server and would spend hours and hours with sessions.
Eventually, however, as development with the bot continued I always wondered how I could even possibly help with the REAL DiamondFire server in the future. As I wanted to help even more, perhaps could I help make the server even better by myself?
This happened to be around where the crazy update that introduced CodeTemplates was introduced, and I felt like I had a bit of an opportunity to do something a bit special. So I started my passion project, DFVisual, which although would turn out to be a terrible application it was important and got me off my feet. So much so that it gave me the confidence to redo HelpBot, and eventually take over Suggestion Manager.
And then that day, I remember I was studying for this god-awful math test (too many tests)... and I got a very special message. This message would lead to where I was, a developer.

Being a developer was a great experience, and perhaps something I took for granted. I was able to expand my knowledge on everything programming-related because I wanted to make sure that you guys had fast and glitchless experience on DF because nobody likes a laggy slow server. And you all would eventually see that work go onto your server, and I feel the tools and updates I have provided have been great for everyone. I was so proud to be able to work with amazingly talented individuals, as they would shape me to be the programmer I am today. I'm glad I was able to bring other people into this path too, I am sure the new developers will do a great job at picking up the server. I have spent my entire summer preparing something amazing for you all, and although I will not be there to see it unfold, I am sure it will be picked up.

All things, however, big and small, must come to an end. Although I myself am against this choice, I have the feeling that this is the best choice to make.. one that I will most likely not be able to decide to change.
Being a part of this community, this server, and most importantly this amazing staff team has been nothing but a privilege for me.
I never knew that starting out I would get to where I was before, and most importantly where things would go. But, perhaps, this is where things are meant to be.

There are a couple of things that I can take away from this experience on this server, which will most likely shape who I will be in the greater future.
1. Don't be afraid to express yourself, stupid or not, don't stick to unrealistic boundaries people put on you to make you seem "normal".
2. Go for the gold, if you see an opportunity go for it and work as hard as you can for that opportunity. Even if you don't get what you want, it will pay off towards greater things.
3. Don't be afraid of others hating you, it's most likely for the better. Not hating people you should hate, well, let's just say you will regret all that will come from it.
4. Live life, don't be afraid to make mistakes.

This marks my end for the staff team most likely, but who knows, maybe that motivation will go somewhere else you all know and love. For now, at least, I need some time.

I am sorry to everyone that I affected, all my mistakes going into the thing I love. I worked hard going through the adventure that is DF, and sadly, I took the wrong path. I hope perhaps, someday, I will be forgiven

For everyone that has been a part of my adventure as a staff member,
thank you :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
Thank you for your dedication & commitment to the staff team and with DiamondFire's development! And really, good luck with your future endeavors; great minds like yours deserve a special place in future job and career opportunities in my opinion. Appreciate all that you've done!

1pe

Server Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It’s sad to see you go however, good luck on your future projects and the like

EmeralDev

Forum adept
Reaction score
It was fun, thank you for everything Owen. You were patient and kind when I was learning, and have helped me get to where I am today.

PettatoGaming

Overlord
Reaction score
Wishing you the best Owen, you've been a huge part of DF. We'll miss you dearly.
thanks for being awesome. hope to hear from you again soon <3
1634989281331.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom