• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Dark Mode theme update

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score

Dark theme​

Yo. I realized I have mentioned multiple times back when I was staffed that this would get rolled out, but it never did, so better late than never eh? @ARMcPro and I have been working on the dark mode version of the regular theme on a separate installation, and the changes were successfully pushed by the admins.

You can access the themes by clicking here

If you encounter any bugs, which would be considered any type of visual issue or annoyance, you can place a comment here. With this being a volunteer effort, please don't use the bug section of the forum to report any dark theme issues, use this thread. I hope you have a better experience, you can toss away your UV shades now

User experience/visual bugs​

• [✓] The thread Filters color isn't the best fit with the contrasting blue. Will look into using a lighter variant, filterBar-menuTrigger. Parent: block-outer-main
  • The pagination text color may need to be adjusted in regard to it's background-color, pageNav-main. Parent: block-outer-main
  • [✓] Highlighting text within the text editor, fr-box bbWrapper, will result in another color variant being used contrary to highlighting text of other users' text
  • Administration area: We will need to review XenPorta 2 to ensure the addon is getting all colors correctly applied on the separate installation; this ensures a good UI experience for staff using the article system. This will require us to purchase the addon, but we will to it as soon as possible
  • Moderation area
    • Deleted threads have an odd color; color and background-color don't go together
      • CSS:
        <div class="message-attribution message-attribution--plain">
        <div class="messageNotice messageNotice--deleted"> /* -> Target */
    • Select for moderation text should be adjusted
      • CSS:
        <div class="inlineModBar-inner">
        <li class="inlineModBar-title"></li> /* Font color most likely, but consider bg if needed */
[✓] Listed issues in green have been fixed, but is not live on this installation yet

Last edited:

RetroWolf

Forum adept
Reaction score

Dark theme​

Yo. I realized I have mentioned multiple times back when I was staffed that this would get rolled out, but it never did, so better late than never eh? @ARMcPro and I have been working on the dark mode version of the regular theme on a separate installation, and the changes were successfully pushed by the admins.

You can access the themes by clicking here

If you encounter any bugs, which would be considered any type of visual issue or annoyance, you can place a comment here. With this being a volunteer effort, please don't use the bug section of the forum to report any dark theme issues, use this thread. I hope you have a better experience, you can toss away your UV shades now

User experience/visual bugs​

• We will need to review XenPorta to ensure the addon is getting all colors correctly applied on the separate installation; this ensures a good UI experience for staff using the article system
  • The thread Filters color isn't the best fit with the contrasting blue. Will look into using a lighter variant, filterBar-menuTrigger. Parent: block-outer-main
  • The pagination text color may need to be adjusted in regard to it's background-color, pageNav-main. Parent: block-outer-main
  • Highlighting text within the text editor, fr-box bbWrapper, will result in another color variant being used contrary to highlighting text of other users' text
not really an update is its a more darker style

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
not really an update is its a more darker style
Hi, it is an updated version. It's not a new dark theme; we are updating existing themes. The last one wasn't too usable or UI friendly. It was changed to be darker too as you mentioned, but the change list is quite long

Thanks to the author engineering it for light theme and not bi-compatibility (light/dark), many areas had to be altered from the source so a lot of what we have worked on was finetuning things down to the smallest selector that we never got to before since it was just a lot to tackle. But so far, the pages, forum view, node list, headers/footers, blocks, forms, thread, editor, buttons, messages, polls, alerts, text types, moderation areas [tools, reports, approval queue, mod actions], the color palette, and more were adjusted and finetuned, and it might be a little difficult to compare both without a reference, but those are some of the things! Feel free to let us know if you have any suggestions or areas of the forum UI-wise that we can improve on!

Last edited:

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
Hey everyone, it seems the dark mode on mobile has some unintended side effects, one being the navigation bar text being grey.

If anyone sees any other visual issues specifically on mobile, let me know! I’ll look more into this soon. And concerning the fixed patch notes, will try to roll out a fix for the issues and improvements for the UI within a few weeks depending on when the admins are available and when I have time myself, and thanks for the feedback received so far thru dms

Top Bottom