• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

DiamondFire Function Rework

TheZipCreator

Reaction score
(oh hey I haven't posted in this forum in a while. All of the other things I've said in this forum are probably extremely cringy, because I was like 12.)
(anyways, here's a suggestion for how to rework DiamondFire functions. This was originally a webpage, but I ran it through a html -> bbcode converter and this was the result. You can view the original page here)

DiamondFire Function Rework
This is a suggested rework of the way functions in DiamondFire work and behave
Prelude
Currently, in DiamondFire, functions are just snippets of code that can be called anywhere, however can not return anything or take any arguments.
This is fine for reusing code, however whenever you want a function to, for example, getting something from some data structure, or rendering something that is variable and needs arguments, this is a bit of a problem.
The current solution is just to create a global variable containing the arguments, and then just call the function. Then, when you wish to return something, you can set a new global variable to the return value.
This is fine, I guess, but it is a bit of a hack, and we could do much better.
(also I'm going to be using my own improvised syntax to represent DiamondFire code blocks, but it should hopefully be easily understandable)
Solution
Fixing this would not be too difficult (at least I assume so, but I'm not sure how the codebase of DiamondFire works, so it may be harder than it seems). All we would need to do is
  • 1. Create a way to pass arguments to a function
  • 2. Add a way for functions to return things
Not that bad, eh?
Arguments
The first thing we need to do is to create a way to pass arguments to a function.
My suggestion is that in the function chest, after the icon is specified, you should be able to specify a list of variables that act as arguments. These variables will act the same a "LOCAL" variables, and will be used as such. This would look like this:
Code:
            FUNCTION myFunc [item(emerald) var(x) var(y)]
This would mean that the function will take two arguments, and will store them in the variables x and y.
It could them use them like this:
Code:
            FUNCTION myFunc [item(emerald) var(x) var(y)];
            SETVAR + [var(z) var(x) num(2)];
            SETVAR *= [var(z) var(y)];
            # now we have var(z)=(var(x)+2)*var(y)
Returning
Currently, we have a CONTROL RETURN command, which is used to return from a function. However, no value can be returned. It simply goes back to executing the previous code that was running before the function was called. However, we could give the CONTROL RETURN block a chest in order to contain the return value. This would look like this:
Code:
            FUNCTION myFunc [item(emerald), var(x), var(y)]
            SETVAR + [var(z), var(x), num(2)];
            SETVAR *= [var(z), var(y)];
            CONTROL RETURN [var(z)];
This would mean that the function would return the value of the variable z.
So now that we have a way to pass in arguments and return values on the function side, we now need a way to actually pass them into the function.
Call Function
The current way to call a function is via the CALLFUNCTION block. This block has no chest and just calls the function, and once the function is done, it returns to the code that called it. I propose that we add a chest to the CALLFUNCTION block, and then we can pass in arguments to the function. The first item would be a variable to store the return value, and then the remaining items would be the arguments. The chest could also be left empty for functions that do not return anything. If a function requires arguments but does not return anything, the first item can just be left as air. This would look like this:
Code:
            # calling a function with no arguments or return value
            CALLFUNCTION myFunc [];
            # calling a function with arguments and return value
            CALLFUNCTION myFunc [var(res), var(x), num(3), text(Hello, World!)];
            # calling a function with no arguments but return value
            CALLFUNCTION myFunc [var(res)];
            # calling a function with arguments but no return value
            CALLFUNCTION myFunc [,var(x), num(3), text(Hello, World!)]; # note the comma in the first item. This represents an air item.
%call
Another way to call a function would be through the %call text code. This would take in a function name, and then a list of arguments. This way, it can be nested within larger expressions. This would look like this:
Code:
            SETVAR=[var(x), num( %call(myFunc, num(1), num(2)) )];
            #equivalent to CALLFUNCTION myFunc [var(x), num(1), num(2)];
Other Things
Now that functions are more than just reusable blocks of code, and closer to the mathematical definition of a function, we can use them in more abstract ways, such as implementing some functional programming concepts. Like, for example, lambda expressions.
I should note here that this part isn't quintessential to my suggestion, it's more just a thing that would be nice to have.
Lambda Expressions
Lambda expressions are basically just anonymous functions; that is functions without a name. How would that work? Well, in order to call them, they would first need to be in a variable. A lambda expression could be defined with a new addition to the SETVAR block, called LAMBDA. This would look like this:
Code:
            SETVAR LAMBDA [var(func), var(x), var(y)] {
              SETVAR + [var(z), var(x), num(2)];
              SETVAR *= [var(z), var(y)];
              CONTROL RETURN [var(z)];
              #creates a function that returns (x+2)*y and stores it in var(z)
            }
(the braces {} represent pistons)
Now that this function is in a variable, you can call it using %call the same way you'd call any other function. However, you could also pass it in as an argument to another function, and put it in arrays and dictionaries, and so on. This would allow many new things to be implemented. In fact, using dictionaries, you could implement javascript-like object-oriented-programming.
Conclusion
So yeah, that's my idea for revising DiamondFire functions. I don't think that the first bit (adding arguments and return values) would be that difficult, but the lambda expressions might be harder. I mainly just want the first part to be implemented, and while I would like for lambda expressions to be implemented, I would understand if they wouldn't be.
That's about it, goodbye.

ARMcPro

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
Function args was a planned feature and Owen (i think) was working on it but then Owen got "force retired" (fired) 💀

Top Bottom