• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Gathering opinions on a possible DF clone

Would you play a clone of DF implemented in Minetest?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

rdococ

Reaction score
It will be quite a while before I'm ready to try something as big as this, so I decided I may as well get some input beforehand.
-
I'm considering implementing a DF clone in Minetest, a game engine masquerading as a Minecraft clone. Why?
  • The clone would be free software, so anyone can host it (but I will look into hosting options for a canonical server).
  • Various features will be included and misfeatures avoided:
    • Instead of % tags, an expression system delimited by brackets will be provided supporting inline function calls.
    • No ridiculous thread-local-but-otherwise-global variables; instead, all local variables will be LINE-scoped.
    • By-reference lists/dictionaries/variables (as an option).
    • A single, global memory limit for non-SAVE variables and one for SAVE variables, instead of the various limits on lists, dicts, variables etc.
  • Mobs mods would be included to add mob support (e.g. zombies, dirt monsters, copyright-avoiding creeper-likes) as the default game in Minetest doesn't have any mobs.
  • There will be no premium features or ranks requiring money. (Everyone gets access to a set number of 100x100 and 300x300 plots that will increase with playtime up to some large limit).
  • The game will be called something funny that references both DF and Minetest, like "meseflame".

Last edited:

Spamton

Reaction score
Seems cool but idk if u want to host it on minetest i would just do it on Minecraft even though u need a mincraft account I would still put it on Minecraft idk

Top Bottom