• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Here's my opinion on 1.16.3

UltraTheDuck

Emperor
Reaction score
As you might know, in the most recent patch DiamondFire has updated to 1.16.3, here is my opinion on it.

It's really a dumb thing to do.
Why?

1. People who use stuff like optifine have to wait until 1.16.3 optifine release.
2. There is NOTHING new in 1.16.3, the patchnotes say there are only 2 bug fixes. So why?
3. 1.16.3 brings increased lag, and decreased FPS.

RolandMC123

Forum adept
Reaction score
They should have probably used ViaVersion with 1.16.2-1.16.3 like they did previously when it was on 1.15.2

(It's really annoying that I have to update all my mods and some utility ones for DF like CodeUtils don't work on 1.16.3)

RDM

Overlord
Reaction score
1. People who use stuff like optifine have to wait until 1.16.3 optifine release.
2. There is NOTHING new in 1.16.3, the patchnotes say there are only 2 bug fixes. So why?

Hi! Staying updated to the latest version of Minecraft is good for business, so that, among other reasons usually, is why we try to update rather quickly. It is true that people who use Optifine and other similar mods will have to wait, but it is also likely those mods will be updated in no time since 1.16.3 changes almost nothing. Lastly, 1.16.3 probably is causing you some level of decreased FPS because you use Optifine :)

RolandMC123

Forum adept
Reaction score
Why couldn't you just use ViaVersion for all 1.16 versions like what you did with 1.15-1.16 support earlier this year? Updating to new minecraft versions so quickly between updates makes it pretty annoying since you have to keep updating your mods and devs that make DF utility mods also have to update them. @RDM

RDM

Overlord
Reaction score
@DFIdentity

Updating to new minecraft versions so quickly between updates makes it pretty annoying since you have to keep updating your mods and devs that make DF utility mods also have to update them.

I feel like that's a question for Mojang, not DiamondFire. As previously stated, staying updated is good for business, and DiamondFire doesn't decide when Minecraft updates come out.

K_Sasha

Reaction score
Optifine has already released a preview version for 1.16.3, you can download it here. We would prefer to avoid using ViaVersion if we can because using the plugin generally introduces a few bugs. Although using ViaVersion to allow 1.16.2 and 1.16.3 players to join DiamondFire will probably not result in any issues, it's better to be safe. Using ViaVersion likely comes with a small performance cost too.

1.16.3 does not degrade performance, you are probably just used to using Optifine.

fabiothomas

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
You can also just use forge 1.16.3 and put the 1.16.2 optifine in the mods folder. all i did when upgrading to 1.16.3 was installing forge 1.16.3 but i kept my 1.16.2 mods and that worked fine. So if you for some reason don't want to use optifine preview versions because they might contain bugs just do that.

Overall the transition doesn't change much. its minor so yeah why not keep the server up to date?

SamMan_

Forum adept
Reaction score
I never understand why people make the point that 1.16.3 is identical but also that they've noticed a massive performance drop...

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
As you might know, in the most recent patch DiamondFire has updated to 1.16.3, here is my opinion on it.

It's really a dumb thing to do.
Why?

Do your research, you can get Optifine for 1.16.3

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
Yeah generally speaking, it's good to be updated and to stay on top of the latest versions. There are risks in not updating, and it's important to use more secure builds. There are risks with sticking with outdated builds, like possible bugs that can be exploited and then having to look into that. It is important for security reasons and having that updated build (this is what I heard and picked up on from a SpigotMC post).

As for it bringing lag, make sure you have no other modifications, then just make sure your settings weren't altered or that your startup commandline information was not reset. For me, I kick in around 6 gigs of RAM into my Minecraft as I had to change the commandline and I think I have to do this for every version, but making sure your commandline wasn't set to the default 2GB is important if you previously ever edited any commandline within the MC Launcher. Otherwise, ya should be good. Not sure if versions can do this, but it's worth a look.

General_Mudkip

Retired Moderator
Overlord
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you can chose the amount of ram you allocate in the launch options

TheMinesYT

Notorious member
Reaction score
the 1.16.3 release on df is absolutely fine. But it Does have a tps downside lol (also it made my plot lag the server today :/ )

K_Sasha

Reaction score
There is no TPS degradation, performance degradation, or even any security benefits. All 1.16.3 did was make two small changes, neither of which affected DiamondFire. The exploit that was fixed in 1.16.3 was already fixed by Paper.

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
or even any security benefits. All 1.16.3 did was make two small changes, neither of which affected DiamondFire. The exploit that was fixed in 1.16.3 was already fixed by Paper.

I am talking about in general. In general, you won't be surprised by security benefits or more stable builds- it is a common practice to stay updated to prevent flaws, exploitations, security issues, and so on in the future. There will be likely security issues in the future, there will be future exploits, but thankfully, this update was small. Like just because 1.16.3 may not contain them doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare in the future to help avoid exploits and receive any security changes, that's basically my idea here. I wasn't talking about this update in particular, I am talking about the idea of updating and the future of problems, how they can be avoided by updating before issues start to arise. There will be a time where there are real issues, and that is where the practice of staying updated will be by your side and be beneficial.

Yeah generally speaking,

Last edited:

UltraCraftGames

Notorious member
Reaction score
problemo is alot of servers havent switched to 1.16.3 yet so its annoying to switch for ex ive pmuch stopped playing cause most severs i play on are 1.16.2

__ArcherMaster__

Reaction score
They should have probably used ViaVersion with 1.16.2-1.16.3 like they did previously when it was on 1.15.2

(It's really annoying that I have to update all my mods and some utility ones for DF like CodeUtils don't work on 1.16.3)
code utils works fine on 1.16.3 even if you use the 1.16 version afaik

Top Bottom