• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Idea - Fixing the vanilla attribute generic.attack_knockback in DF

TheExtremeBurger

Notorious member
Reaction score
Just a random thought, but what if DiamondFire "fixes" the attribute generic.attack_knockback by allowing it to work on players, and allowing the command /i attribute to support it?

For some backstory, the attribute generic.attack_knockback is the Attack Knockback attribute that modifies the base knockback an entity causes when it attacks physically. The base for most mobs is 0.0, whereas the Ravager has a base of 1.5 and the Hoglin and Zoglin share a base of 1.0. The minimum value for this attribute is 0.0 (default), and a max of 5.0. This attribute, according to the wiki, applies for all entities (player and mobs), but there is a problem with this.

The issue with Attack Knockback in vanilla is that it only works for entities and not players. You can give any mob the attribute, and it will affect the attribute and knockback. This doesn't work for players, however. Using items to give the attribute doesn't modify the attribute, and you can't even modify it using the /attribute command. Its a shame this basic attribute can't be applied to players.

This brought me to here, what if DF solves this problem by implementing it for players and being able to add modifiers to it? I thought of this being in DF because I saw a mod that adds a helmet that boosts the player's attack knockback. I questioned that if it is possible in a mod, that it could work as a plugin or something else.

If it is possible, I'm not so sure how useful it would be. I mean I'd use it, but what could others use it for? After all, there is the knockback enchantment, and you can code custom knockback values in any game, and the small arbitrary limits of the attributes just makes it more plausible to code it or use the enchantment. I'd think it would be useful for more natural feeling knockback, and would be a lot easier than coding it. I would use it for custom weapons and mobs and interact with the knockback resistance attribute, but I wonder what else it could be used for.

I'm really just wondering how the community would think of this, and if it's even possible to implement into a plugin or whatever. I wanted to make a suggestion on this but I'd want to have a discussion on it instead.

Zyborg

Forum adept
Reaction score
yea i agree, tho i never heard of it, i could use it

Top Bottom