• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

is DiamondFire dying?

TitanicDaniel8

Reaction score
I've been playing on DF on and off since Nov 21 2015. Over that time I think it's fair to say I can now "review" DF as I've been playing it for so long.

The problem with DF is this: DF needs good supported games for players to stay and join, but DF can't directly make and support good games. Simple as that. DF has made it's coding much better, more capable, more efficient, but DF can't force players to utilize this much better coding and make good games. DF can and somewhat has promoted games that people are playing so that those games become popular, but, again, DF can't force players to make good games, only give them help through supports. DF is a platform that balances on random people making games for it. This isn't a stable arrangement. Even if every single player abandoned Hypixel right now, the Hypixel server could keep supporting the games it's made and even make new games. But if every single player abandoned DF, DF couldn't support dead games and likely wouldn't make new games. But there's the way to fix this whole problem with DF: DF needs to make its own good and supported games. The games that the DF staff team make would, hopefully, be of higher quality and be forever fixed in certain easily accessible menus for all players to easily find and play. These games would coexist with the player made DF games and give DF a stable anchor for its player base to build their own games around. DF would, in essence, become Hypixel but with much fewer players and the ability for any random player to join and make a game that others can play. But it isn't so simple because if it was DF would have already done this. I assume that many DF staff have objections to this and I hope that the objections that anyone may give show a way to solve this problem. I just hope that DF can get out of its slow decline and rebound, and I hope that everyone who reads this sees that, though what I have typed above may be stupid and wrong, I care about DF enough to write a paragraph about it that likely will do nothing.

MaxBuster

Senior Helper
SrHelper
Reaction score
Heya,

It is a fair worry to have, although I don't think it is much the case as of now.
Yes, people are free to make whichever game they want to make, but people are equally free to play whichever game they want to play. That way, you don't have to play the mediocre games and can focus on the ones that received time and effort. Those are indeed rare but they exist, and they are the most memorable. If anything, the attention they get is encouraging on its own to make a good game. As for the staff-made games proposal you gave, it hits a main problem no one has answered yet : "What makes a fun game ?". No one can predict what will and won't work, so a staff-made game isn't guaranteed to be fun. Of all things, fun games don't even have to be complex games (I made a small race game which received its fair share of success).

TitanicDaniel8

Reaction score
Heya,

It is a fair worry to have, although I don't think it is much the case as of now.
Yes, people are free to make whichever game they want to make, but people are equally free to play whichever game they want to play. That way, you don't have to play the mediocre games and can focus on the ones that received time and effort. Those are indeed rare but they exist, and they are the most memorable. If anything, the attention they get is encouraging on its own to make a good game. As for the staff-made games proposal you gave, it hits a main problem no one has answered yet : "What makes a fun game ?". No one can predict what will and won't work, so a staff-made game isn't guaranteed to be fun. Of all things, fun games don't even have to be complex games (I made a small race game which received its fair share of success).
I don't disagree with anything you have said but I don't think you tried answering or even talking about the main problem I put in my first post. The problem is that DF can't make its own good supported games directly. This means DF is resting on unstable ground as needing random people to make good games and therefore keep your server afloat is not stable. Also yes, figuring out 'what a fun game is' is very hard, but servers like Hypixel seem to manage making a game good enough (usually). I don't think that if the DF staff made their own game it would be some massive complex mystery to figure out what makes a game fun. And of course a DF made game is not guaranteed to be fun, but it's in DF's best interest for it to be.

Also yes people can play whatever game they want to and people can support good games, but i'm talking about game creators supporting their games with updates and fixes, etc.

MaxBuster

Senior Helper
SrHelper
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you have said but I don't think you tried answering or even talking about the main problem I put in my first post. The problem is that DF can't make its own good supported games directly. This means DF is resting on unstable ground as needing random people to make good games and therefore keep your server afloat is not stable. Also yes, figuring out 'what a fun game is' is very hard, but servers like Hypixel seem to manage making a game good enough (usually). I don't think that if the DF staff made their own game it would be some massive complex mystery to figure out what makes a game fun. And of course a DF made game is not guaranteed to be fun, but it's in DF's best interest for it to be.

Also yes people can play whatever game they want to and people can support good games, but i'm talking about game creators supporting their games with updates and fixes, etc.
If we ever come to a point where there are too few games to make the server entertaining, you indeed would be right something would need to be done (like a group of staffs making generic games which are pushed to the top of trending), but right now, I don't feel that it is the case.

TitanicDaniel8

Reaction score
If we ever come to a point where there are too few games to make the server entertaining, you indeed would be right something would need to be done (like a group of staffs making generic games which are pushed to the top of trending), but right now, I don't feel that it is the case.
Sure, I agree. But I think it would be more than a little foolish to only try fixing a problem when the boats already half sunk instead of when the iceberg is on the horizon.

Wobber

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
The iceberg seems to be much ahead of us. I do not feel like there really needs to be any worry yet. I can see why you told people this, it would be nice for the staff team to maybe try to make some stable games just in case early. But for now, there is no need for change.

Jeremaster

Owner
Owner
Reaction score
This is like saying "YouTube wouldn't survive if everyone decided to stop making YouTube videos". Not a hot take, you're just speaking facts.

There's no magic to having the staff team make games. Many staff already make some of DF's top games. Some of DF's top game makers become staff, too. As Max alluded to, throwing together some staff games and pushing them to the top of trending isn't guaranteed to mean more fun games (and could potentially squeeze out non-staff games that are more fun).

You are absolutely correct that DiamondFire is better the more players there are. A greater number of creative minds will result in more awesome gameplay experiences. This is why we're trying to spread the word through YouTuber collaborations and more recently, the DF TikTok. If you have ideas on how to make more potential game makers aware of DF, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

DiamondWolf

Forum adept
Reaction score
I’ve sort of lost interest... I don’t know, I’ve just had less interest in the games...

I mean, people have made some awesome games, but I’ve just found myself playing less, as earlier in the month I was doing revision for exams. Now I’m free, but I wish people made some Christmas games. The coldest winter is an amazing game, but the people ruin it by griefing and killing people without reason. Although news about the coldest winter, I’m writing a story on wattpad based off the coldest winter, so look forward to that.

RolandMC123

Forum adept
Reaction score
I’ve sort of lost interest... I don’t know, I’ve just had less interest in the games...

I mean, people have made some awesome games, but I’ve just found myself playing less, as earlier in the month I was doing revision for exams. Now I’m free, but I wish people made some Christmas games. The coldest winter is an amazing game, but the people ruin it by griefing and killing people without reason. Although news about the coldest winter, I’m writing a story on wattpad based off the coldest winter, so look forward to that.
The community has evolved... DiamondFire fanfiction...

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
The coldest winter is an amazing game, but the people ruin it by griefing and killing people without reason. Although news about the coldest winter, I’m writing a story on wattpad based off the coldest winter, so look forward to that.

It wasn't "ruined" by the griefing and killing, It was better with it. There is a reason for the killing, it is called "survival of the fittest".
The only thing imo that was a flaw with coldest winter was the early game being too grueling.

On another note, DF Fanfics???? Oh god, I better not see this become bigger to the point where a Noah and PI fanfiction comes in.

DiamondWolf

Forum adept
Reaction score
It wasn't "ruined" by the griefing and killing, It was better with it. There is a reason for the killing, it is called "survival of the fittest".
The only thing imo that was a flaw with coldest winter was the early game being too grueling.

On another note, DF Fanfics???? Oh god, I better not see this become bigger to the point where a Noah and PI fanfiction comes in.
There aren’t many df references, it’s a realistic story based off the game. Although the main antagonist is basically representing all the griefers/murderers. And some chars I’ll modify to have names that are similar to those of df players. Also DiamondWolf81 I have been translated into Dominic Wolfwood (not my irl name, it’s the main characters name)

Top Bottom