• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Should I attempt to make a mod?

Should I attempt to make a mod?

• Total voters

TheExtremeBurger

Notorious member
Reaction score
So I've always wanted to make a minecraft mod, and I want to add a few blocks and items, maybe a vanilla-friendly type mod. Thing is, I know nothing about how to code in the language n stuff (I believe its in java or something). If I ever try to learn/make the mod, I'll probably watch youtube videos and stuff. Anyway, do you think I should at least attempt making a mod? Please tell me what u think eee

RolandMC123

Forum adept
Reaction score
Do whatever you want I guess, can't stop you from making one lol

SamMan_

Forum adept
Reaction score
Before starting a mod, you'll need to know the basics of Java, as most mod tutorials will assume you do.

Where to learn Java? There might be some stuff on YouTube, though it can vary a bit in quality.

A site I use a lot for this stuff is https://www.edx.com, which if you chose to audit the courses are completely free. Here's a Java one by Microsoft: https://www.edx.org/course/learn-to-program-in-java-2

Or if you're a fan of books, there's Java: The Complete Reference which will go through all the basics. You can find pdfs of older editions online for free.

TheExtremeBurger

Notorious member
Reaction score
Ooo, thanks for these sources! I'll definitely look into these and try to learn some java, thanks

K_Sasha

Reaction score
I do not recommend having modding as your first Java project, make a few small games to get familiar with Java first.

Vulcano

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
I mean, it will probably be a basic mod as a first, if you think you can do it then try it, but realize it'll definitely be difficult. I tried making a Bukkit plugin as my first project since quitting java, the hard part was that I was using complex stuff. I'm not really into modding but I'd assume as long as you stick to the basics. I remembered some of the basics already, you should probably do what Sasha said, my first project was a calculator, that's a simple one, then to learn plugins I made /ping respond pong. I'd imagine the simplest mod would be to add a sword. The other part would be making item/block textures, I'm not good at that stuff so I recolor Minecraft's basic stuff then modify what is there already if I want it to look vanilla, but you probably would want to make you're own.

Top Bottom