• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

The removal of certain features is confusing for me

PhoenixFire18

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
In the update 5.3 they removed certain features;

• Armor stands and item frames can no longer be used in play mode. This may change in a future patch
  • Removed Player Action: Give Random Item, Player Action: Clear Chat, Player/Entity Action: Teleport Sequence, Entity Action: Set Item Owner, and Game Action: Spawn Random Item
  • Temporarily removed plot developer comments; they will be reintroduced in a future patch. —————————————- The removal of certain coding options is puzzling for me. Not every single one of these is necessary but there is 2 would like to talk about. 1-2: Give Random Item and Spawn Random Item are used in many games and I don’t see a reason to remove them. The community agrees and I would like to see them return or a reason why they where removed. No hard feelings-PhoenixFire18

Vulcano

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score

• Armor stands and item frames can no longer be used in play mode. This may change in a future patch
  • Removed Player Action: Give Random Item, Player Action: Clear Chat, Player/Entity Action: Teleport Sequence, Entity Action: Set Item Owner, and Game Action: Spawn Random Item
  • Temporarily removed plot developer comments; they will be reintroduced in a future patch. —————————————- The removal of certain coding options is puzzling for me. Not every single one of these is necessary but there is 2 would like to talk about. 1-2: Give Random Item and Spawn Random Item are used in many games and I don’t see a reason to remove them. The community agrees and I would like to see them return or a reason why they where removed. No hard feelings-PhoenixFire18
These features were removed because they are easily achievable by other means or because they were unused (and will be implemented in a better way later). Thank you for being nicer than others who criticized this update though.

LooserRIP

Notorious member
Overlord
Reaction score
These features were removed because they are easily achievable by other means or because they were unused (and will be implemented in a better way later). Thank you for being nicer than others who criticized this update though.
yes

PhoenixFire18

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
oh i didn't know they where achievable in another way. i do hope people calm down because that is the only criticism i saw that i thought was valid

RolandMC123

Forum adept
Reaction score

They have removed the armor stands / item frames in play mode because they were very buggy.

They removed some actions because they are redundant, you can recreate them very easily - for example, to recreate Give Random Item, you can use Set Variable: Random Object and then Player Action: Give Item. Any plots that already used these actions in the past should still work, though.

Plot developer comments have also been removed because they were buggy and often times just disappeared after a few hours.

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
I hate this reason for certain things, One of the biggest problems in DF is Space Management. This feature [GiveRandomItem] being removed makes coding a tad bit more inconvenient. Instead of 1 block it takes 2, this doesn't seem like a big problem until it comes to space management. It will take up more codespace meaning that codeline will be filled more leading to less space for more codeblocks, yes there are functions but I still shouldn't be forced to do that because of the removal of this feature.

I will make a forum thread explaining my bigger problems with the update and try to remember to try to go into more detail with this.

Vulcano

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
I hate this reason for certain things, One of the biggest problems in DF is Space Management. This feature [GiveRandomItem] being removed makes coding a tad bit more inconvenient. Instead of 1 block it takes 2, this doesn't seem like a big problem until it comes to space management. It will take up more codespace meaning that codeline will be filled more leading to less space for more codeblocks, yes there are functions but I still shouldn't be forced to do that because of the removal of this feature.

I will make a forum thread explaining my bigger problems with the update and try to remember to try to go into more detail with this.
I agree some were unnecessary but most were fine, the random stuff should've been left alone but.

DogWithHats

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
to be fair, some of the update is a bit scuffed
the efficiency of pre-5.3 setblock/copyblock actions is completely gone, among other things

K_Sasha

Reaction score
I believe the armor stand and item frame change was so that they can be used in builds without players interacting with them. Code comments were removed because it just was not worth fixing them. They are too difficult to use in their current state. Game Action: Spawn Random Item is definitely not coming back, that action was used very rarely. Player Action: Give Random Item might come back.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the efficiency of the setblock and copyblock actions being gone. Copy blocks has not been changed at all in this update, nor has set region (which is the old set block action).

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
Game Action: Spawn Random Item is definitely not coming back, that action was used very rarely. Player Action: Give Random Item might come back.
that's a bit weird to have one but not the other

ninja70707

Support staff
Support
Reaction score
I believe the armor stand and item frame change was so that they can be used in builds without players interacting with them. Code comments were removed because it just was not worth fixing them. They are too difficult to use in their current state. Game Action: Spawn Random Item is definitely not coming back, that action was used very rarely. Player Action: Give Random Item might come back.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the efficiency of the setblock and copyblock actions being gone. Copy blocks has not been changed at all in this update, nor has set region (which is the old set block action).
I actually made a new game this past Saturday that could've used Spawn Random Item, but I understand it being unnecessary. Though, I still believe Give Random Item should return in some way.

DogWithHats

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
I actually made a new game this past Saturday that could've used Spawn Random Item, but I understand it being unnecessary. Though, I still believe Give Random Item should return in some way.
it does seem strange that you'd potentially add one without the other, since they're basically doing the same thing, just on a different scale

Top Bottom