• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

The Very Simple Guide to Hex Color Codes

shiverdog

Reaction score
Not to be confused with the scrolling rainbow text of ElijahKopper's, found here. This is just how to create a static hex color.

Hex Color Codes! A neat little way to spice up your texts, and here's a neat little tutorial on how to create your own.

These are super simple to create so if you know what you're doing, here's a short version.
Take a hex color (for example, #7289da), and put an & before each character (stripping off the #)
(#7289da » &7&2&8&9&d&a).

Then just simply add an &x before your code.
(&7&2&8&9&d&a » &x&7&2&8&9&d&a)

Ta-da! You made a hex color code! It can be used in most places a normal color code can be.

Let's get the important stuff out of the way first. This thread is going to be outdated eventually, since the devs are planning on implementing a better way to do hex color codes. This is just a simple guide showing how you can do them as of now.

Alright, first things first. We need to find a good color to use.
If you don't have a good color, you can use a color picker such as Google's.
Here's a nice color:
Here's a nice color!
Once you find a color you like, copy the hex code for it, or just remember it for later. In this case, #7289da
The way that hex colors work as of now is pretty weird. Here's an example of a red color:
&x&f&f&0&0&0&0
If you're unfamiliar with the format, this probably looks very weird. Let's break it down.
&x » the code you use to specify you're using a hex color code.
&f&f&0&0&0&0 » If we remove the &s from this, you can see its true nature:
Very simply, that is the hex color for red (#ff0000)

Let's take our hex color (#7289da) we have and change it. This is pretty simple to do.

First, make sure you take out the # from the hex color, which leaves us with "7289da"

Next, add an & before each letter or number. » "&7&2&8&9&d&a".

The last thing we need to do is put our &x at the beginning - so we end up with "&x&7&2&8&9&d&a".
Our color code can now be used in place of a standard color code such as &6 or &e. There are a few places where they don't work, but almost anywhere a standard color code can go, our hex color can go as well.
Instead of "/rename &6Epic Sword", do "/rename &x&7&2&8&9&d&aEpic Sword" and you'll see the color code you crafted appear on the item's name!

As of my experience with color codes (some of this may be fixed now - I last tried these when 5.2.3 was being tested over at Node Beta), I have noticed a few places where they just don't seem to work right.

You can name your plot with your color code, but if you do a plot ad and your plot has a hex colored name, it won't actually show up, and your credits were wasted.

Another place that our crafted custom colors curiously can't cooperate is in a scoreboard.
In the title "objective name" of a scoreboard they work as they should, but they don't work as a score in one.
("&f&x&x&0&0&0&0Shiverdog :: 10") won't work like you expect.

Here's a neat little example of something you can create with hex color codes!

example1.png

And there it is! The end of the short tutorial. If you're confused or have something to say, please don't hesitate to let me know in the replies!

\\ MOD EDIT - Edited text colour to improve readability.

ACraftingFish

Notorious member
Reaction score
Hex Color Codes! A neat little way to spice up your texts, and here's a neat little tutorial on how to create your own.

These are super simple to create so if you know what you're doing, here's a short version.
Take a hex color (for example, #7289da), and put an & before each character (stripping off the #)
(#7289da » &7&2&8&9&d&a).

Then just simply add an &x before your code.
(&7&2&8&9&d&a » &x&7&2&8&9&d&a)

Ta-da! You made a hex color code! It can be used in most places a normal color code can be.

Let's get the important stuff out of the way first. This thread is going to be outdated eventually, since the devs are planning on implementing a better way to do hex color codes. This is just a simple guide showing how you can do them as of now.

Alright, first things first. We need to find a good color to use.
If you don't have a good color, you can use a color picker such as Google's.
Here's a nice color:
View attachment 49
Once you find a color you like, copy the hex code for it, or just remember it for later. In this case, #7289da
The way that hex colors work as of now is pretty weird. Here's an example of a red color:
If you're unfamiliar with the format, this probably looks very weird. Let's break it down.
&x » the code you use to specify you're using a hex color code.
&f&f&0&0&0&0 » If we remove the &s from this, you can see its true nature:

Very simply, that is the hex color for red (#ff0000)

Let's take our hex color (#7289da) we have and change it. This is pretty simple to do.

First, make sure you take out the # from the hex color, which leaves us with "7289da"

Next, add an & before each letter or number. » "&7&2&8&9&d&a".

The last thing we need to do is put our &x at the beginning - so we end up with "&x&7&2&8&9&d&a".
Our color code can now be used in place of a standard color code such as &6 or &e. There are a few places where they don't work, but almost anywhere a standard color code can go, our hex color can go as well.
Instead of "/rename &6Epic Sword", do "/rename &x&7&2&8&9&d&aEpic Sword" and you'll see the color code you crafted appear on the item's name!

As of my experience with color codes (some of this may be fixed now - I last tried these when 5.2.3 was being tested over at Node Beta), I have noticed a few places where they just don't seem to work right.

You can name your plot with your color code, but if you do a plot ad and your plot has a hex colored name, it won't actually show up, and your credits were wasted.

Another place that our crafted custom colors curiously can't cooperate is in a scoreboard.
In the title "objective name" of a scoreboard they work as they should, but they don't work as a score in one.
("&f&x&x&0&0&0&0Shiverdog :: 10") won't work like you expect.

Here's a neat little example of something you can create with hex color codes!

View attachment 51

And there it is! The end of the short tutorial. If you're confused or have something to say, please don't hesitate to let me know in the replies!
Where did you get that image from?

Wobber

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
did someone delete some of my messages

Top Bottom