• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Thoughts on Disable PVP

disable pvp or no

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

stinkey

Forum adept
Reaction score
Player Action: Disable PVP.
To be honest, its an alright feature. However, I don't really know why, but I seem to avoid it. Perhaps it makes me think I'm taking too many shortcuts, making my game lower quality (because I remember once you could still shoot people with bows while you had pvp disabled but they had it enabled) and such. There are alternatives, but in essence it's pretty useful. Do you guys use it? what are your thoughts on it?

RolandMC123

Forum adept
Reaction score
why wouldn't you use it? It's just an easy way of quickly enabling/disabling PVP without having to use variables and 2 player events.

grobulae

Reaction score
lol why would it be a bad thing to have

this is like saying we should only have IF VAR = and no other IF VARs because I mean technically you can simulate a lot of other IF VARS with just the =

Wobber

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
i might be stupid but cant u just commit not arrow on enablepvp

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
Perhaps it makes me think I'm taking too many shortcuts, making my game lower quality (because I remember once you could still shoot people with bows while you had pvp disabled but they had it enabled) and such. There are alternatives, but in essence it's pretty useful. Do you guys use it? what are your thoughts on it?

I can totally see that. DiamondFire has been simplifying things over the years to make coding awesome and easy for everyone, especially those without coding experience- which is absolutely -- and with no doubt -- wonderful; it only shows how much we've grown as a server and community, although I can see where you are coming from in terms of evading the simplistic part because either things were not always so simple, or the fact that it is simple compared to what you have to do manually when creating a game.

All I will say is, it is a player action, and the developers added it for a reason to do it efficiently & in a simple manner, but yeah I can see what you mean. I won't vote because I don't have enough experience with that and alternatives, the pros and cons, but it's understandable for your reasons

ACraftingFish

Notorious member
Reaction score
I personally try to avoid using it and instead using
Player Take Damage: Cancel event

In most cases no pvp would also mean no damage taken at all, which makes this useful

Disabling/enabling pvp is toggled, meaning it can get messed up from elsewhere if not set up correctly.

With this method you can also control damage better, if needed

General_Mudkip

Retired Moderator
Overlord
Reaction score
I personally use Player Event Take Damage: Cancel Event because it offers me a lot more control, but it's definitely useful for newer players.

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
why wouldn't you use it? It's just an easy way of quickly enabling/disabling PVP without having to use variables and 2 player events.

the true devs don't use DisablePvP and use CancelEvent on PlayerTakeDmg

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
I personally try to avoid using it and instead using
Player Take Damage: Cancel event

In most cases no pvp would also mean no damage taken at all, which makes this useful

Disabling/enabling pvp is toggled, meaning it can get messed up from elsewhere if not set up correctly.

With this method you can also control damage better, if needed

just be a good dev and make it NOT do that

Ashli

Server Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I really hope that the remaining player action settings stay, I don't want to imagine a world where you have to have cancelevent on 10 different events rather than a few setting blocks. They already got rid of Player Action: Can Drop Items which is disappointing. I typically also use the player event for damage but the others are so much simpler and so much easier for a new player.

ACraftingFish

Notorious member
Reaction score
I really hope that the remaining player action settings stay, I don't want to imagine a world where you have to have cancelevent on 10 different events rather than a few setting blocks. They already got rid of Player Action: Can Drop Items which is disappointing. I typically also use the player event for damage but the others are so much simpler and so much easier for a new player.
I agree, it is easier for new players, but for more advanced coders take damage would be better

Top Bottom