• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Tutorial changes

Fghj240

Reaction score
Most players, specifically younger players, probably aren’t as willing to watch a youtube video.

Servers like hypixel get incredibly popular not because of the sweatier dedicated players but because of the mass amounts of casual players, so if you play their server you’ll notice they try to keep everything as simple as possible.

One example of this is the “reccomended” blocks you start with in your hotvar when you spawn, unless it was an accident in which chase you should organize them.

DF should work on it’s tutorial to make it actually guide the player through the coding process step by step inside the game.

For example maybe instead of the link opening a youtube video it could just send the player to a tutorial world where the game tells them to place some blocks down and how to configure them and test the world.

I think a change like this would make it a lot easier to get into coding, even if their plots would probably suck.

If you don’t understand stand what I was describing I mean something similar to cubecraft’s tower defense tutorial. The game is pretty complicated but I felt that the tutorial explained it very clearly. It basically started by pointing out to you the important parts of the map and then how to place towers, and then after sensing mobs for the tower to fight, it would show you how to upgrade the tower and send the same mobs again.

Then it would teach you how to send your own mobs and you would watch them walk through the other track.

I think a somewhat similar style could be used on DF. I don’t mean that DF should copy cubecraft’s style, only the part where the tutorial guides the player step by step through the game.

As a side note, it would be epic if you could go into the tutorial world and select an action like “heal player” or “if player looking at block” and it would teach you how to use that block but it would probably be really hard but also really cool.

Last edited:

stinkey

Forum adept
Reaction score
actually, df used to have an in game tutorial but they decided to change the tutorial to youtube vids instead

EvilsSouls

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
What was the old tutorial though?
As ARMcPro said, it was like a tuturial in chat where the code was:
  1. Player Event -> Join
    1. Player Action -> set hotbar
      1. Chest parameters
        1. minecraft:diamond
  2. Player Event -> Right Click
    1. Player action -> launch proj
      1. Chest parameters
        1. minecraft:fireball

PhoenixFire18

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
A YouTube video has the benefit of being easy to make and has visual elements. Also it aint that hard to watch a YouTube video

D

Deleted member 26

The old ingame tutorial did not age very well. This allows us to easily add tutorials and have a nice way of presenting them to players.

Top Bottom