• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

We CHOOSE to lower DF plot standards (And how to stop them from lowering)

_Caution

Reaction score
As you have seen recently, survivals have been popping up once more. All of these survivals have a common theme: 1.16 Nether. The idea instantly became stale as we have it in normal survival Minecraft and it is WAY better than what we can make on this server. The only reason this problem is reappearing is because of one thing: our decisions. Like the conclusion that COVID-19 is being spread faster because of bad decisions. As you have seen along with the survivals, you might find some gems that are either popular for a few days or were never even touched. Of course, the endless sea of survivals drowns these gems, most of them never to be seen until weeks, or even months, later. We have already seen it with Spy Heads, only popular for about a week, now it is gone, only to be replaced by "BURNT" by TheMinesYT (1.16 Nether Survival).

As easy these survivals gain notoriety, we can shut them down. Many players have once had to make one of these CP farms, I admit to doing this myself. The only way to remove this massive cyst in DiamondFire's history is to stop joining survivals. If we stop joining survivals, people will either put more effort into them or stop making them entirely as they will fall out of the CP farm meta.

Together, we can stop the decline of plot standards and raise them back to an acceptable level.

Vulcano

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
survivals aren't always bad, but df ones are generally done poorly as they can be easy to make

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
Pecks here's my honest opinion, i'm not going to be doing the "all survivals bad" act anymore.

While I personally do not enjoy survivals, the only thing i don't really like is how if you've seen 1 you've seen all, lack of exploration potential, once you've become strong you have no other goals, keep inventory, and really if rules are attempted to be enforced

ninja70707

Support staff
Support
Reaction score
Is this satire? I hope it's satire, because if it isn't, oh boy...

stinkey

Forum adept
Reaction score
i mean, i agree, but
some people are just bad at games that are good and well balanced and polished
like spy heads
the easy, mindless, grind of survivals is just kinda what attracts players
they probably LIKE to play games that arent that great in design because thats where they can be good

Ashli

Server Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Fun is subjective.
I agree that a lot of DF plots are not "high quality," but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't get played or that they aren't fun.
Sometimes a plot being poorly coded can make it more fun, like the dupe bug in Community Skyblock 2.

This isn't really a massive problem with survivals or the DF playerbase, it's people making and playing games from a genre they enjoy,
If a "high quality" plot like Spy Heads isn't getting played, then people don't find it fun. How fun most people consider a plot is, and the plot's quality are seperate variables, they're not correlated.

Basically what I'm trying to say is:
People play games they find fun, and there's nothing wrong with that. If a game you don't like gets popular, deal with it or make a better plot, rather than trying to rally a tiny group to stop playing survivals.

Guardianeqq

Reaction score
y'all got rid of escapists, now you're trying to take away survivals? come on man, can't have anything on diamondfire

grobulae

Reaction score
As you have seen recently, forum threads complaining about the df situation have been popping up once more. All of these threads have a common theme: survival bad :(. The idea instantly became stale as we have it on the discord at a daily basis. The only reason this problem is reappearing is because of one thing: people keep complaining. Like the conclusion that COVID-19 is being spread faster because of bad decisions. As you have seen along with the threads, you might find some gems that are either popular forum games for a few days or die in new. Of course, the endless sea of complaints drowns these gems, most of them never to be seen until weeks, or even months, later (although that would be a necropost). We have already seen it with df++ release, only popular for about a week, now it is gone, only to be replaced by We CHOOSE to lower DF plot standards by _Caution (yet another one of his endless threads full of complaints).

As easy these threads gain notoriety, we can shut them down. Many players have once had to make one of these like farms, I admit to doing this myself. The only way to remove this massive cyst in DiamondFire's forums and discord is to stop arguing with the people that make them. If we stop arguing with them, people will either search for actual arguments or stop making them entirely as they finally notice how effort =/= fun.

Together, we can stop the decline of forum standards and raise them back to an acceptable level.

(not my copypasta)

Last edited:

grobulae

Reaction score
literally the only thing you've recently contributed to this socie- i mean community have been threads telling people to witch hunt survivals because you cant stand the fact that most people quite frankly dont caare about plot effort and simply want a quick and fun game to play.
we live in a society

sludsVEVO

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
oh god here we go again

As you have seen recently, survivals have been popping up once more.

survivals are not the issue themselves, it's the execution of these games that makes them terrible. the concept of a survival can be done well, the ones you're thinking of just don't achieve those qualities.

for example, a game like, say, hypothermia is an example of a survival that i think takes the concept and does something with it. the gameplay is intriguing (not just because it isn't with a generator), and the cold mechanic really gives the game a unique spin to it.

As you have seen along with the survivals, you might find some gems that are either popular for a few days or were never even touched. Of course, the endless sea of survivals drowns these gems, most of them never to be seen until weeks, or even months, later. We have already seen it with Spy Heads, only popular for about a week, now it is gone, only to be replaced by "BURNT" by TheMinesYT (1.16 Nether Survival).

while i agree that spy heads was an amazing game, and burnt is not, you've got to understand that a majority of this server's audience is young children. i assure you that the target demographic for spy heads is not the same as the one for burnt, and the audience burnt reaches for is just bigger than the one spy heads reaches for. so, the majority of the server's attention shifts to burnt. a lot of the gems of this server are just too intricate for those demographics to fully get a hang of, so they fade into obscurity.

As easy these survivals gain notoriety, we can shut them down. Many players have once had to make one of these CP farms, I admit to doing this myself.

nobody has to do anything with their plots. it's not a requirement to farm as much CP as possible with your games. people can create without the intent of getting #1 on the leaderboard and just make a good game, and not care about popularity. the ones who do get popular for the most part don't display this, but there are creators like that who exist.

example: Cptbubbles

i'm sure ID2 wasn't made solely to gain CP. Cpt put passion into that project, made a great, fun, replayable game, and i'm sure that even if it didn't get the insane popularity that it did, he would've been happy with the outcome of an exceptional game.

The only way to remove this massive cyst in DiamondFire's history is to stop joining survivals. If we stop joining survivals, people will either put more effort into them or stop making them entirely as they will fall out of the CP farm meta.

Together, we can stop the decline of plot standards and raise them back to an acceptable level.

the issue you're describing here didn't start with survivals, nor will it end with them. diamondfire has always been a cesspool of trends that get worse and require less effort as time goes on. we've seen this with low-effort parkour games, we've seen it with low-effort escapist plots, and we're seeing it again now with low-effort survivals.

the key here is low-effort. notice how i didn't point at every game in these trends being terrible. there are gems in the garbage pile, and eliminating entire genres is not how we discover them.

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
oh god here we go again

survivals are not the issue themselves, it's the execution of these games that makes them terrible. the concept of a survival can be done well, the ones you're thinking of just don't achieve those qualities.

for example, a game like, say, hypothermia is an example of a survival that i think takes the concept and does something with it. the gameplay is intriguing (not just because it isn't with a generator), and the cold mechanic really gives the game a unique spin to it.

while i agree that spy heads was an amazing game, and burnt is not, you've got to understand that a majority of this server's audience is young children. i assure you that the target demographic for spy heads is not the same as the one for burnt, and the audience burnt reaches for is just bigger than the one spy heads reaches for. so, the majority of the server's attention shifts to burnt. a lot of the gems of this server are just too intricate for those demographics to fully get a hang of, so they fade into obscurity.

nobody has to do anything with their plots. it's not a requirement to farm as much CP as possible with your games. people can create without the intent of getting #1 on the leaderboard and just make a good game, and not care about popularity. the ones who do get popular for the most part don't display this, but there are creators like that who exist.

example: Cptbubbles

i'm sure ID2 wasn't made solely to gain CP. Cpt put passion into that project, made a great, fun, replayable game, and i'm sure that even if it didn't get the insane popularity that it did, he would've been happy with the outcome of an exceptional game.

the issue you're describing here didn't start with survivals, nor will it end with them. diamondfire has always been a cesspool of trends that get worse and require less effort as time goes on. we've seen this with low-effort parkour games, we've seen it with low-effort escapist plots, and we're seeing it again now with low-effort survivals.

the key here is low-effort. notice how i didn't point at every game in these trends being terrible. there are gems in the garbage pile, and eliminating entire genres is not how we discover them.

yes cause we're not starting a holocaust

NarwhalAndMe

Reaction score
I would just like to say, TheMinesYT stopped working on Burnt. This is because #1 wasn't such an original rather intriguing idea and #2 there was a game breaking glitch that made it possible to get stuff that would seem like it was 2b2t. I also would like to say, survivals aren't that bad just not made with a good main base. Everyone nowadays uses gens, instead of lets say quarries. There is barely any work to get to the top. To make it worse, anarchy survival games don't have much of a point as its just whoever gets the best first wins and spawn kills and encase the spawn in lava or obsidian. Thanks for reading, NarwhalAndMe.

Last edited:

Daandar

Overlord
Reaction score
i agree with NarwhalAndMe, survivals aren't inherently bad, its just that they lack a unique concept and just copy each other, survival games like Hypothermia which do have a unique mechanic are much more enjoyable for a longer amount of time

Top Bottom