• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

What are some beginner mistakes you see or things you wish you knew?

StoryTellr

Reaction score
What are some common beginner mistakes you see or have done when it comes to coding? Additionally, what is some advice or knowledge you wished to have known when you started?

I'm working on a video on things beginners should do/avoid and need some ideas and also need to make sure some mistakes aren't just me. If you contribute to this post, I will credit you in my video.

Jimmy_The_Knight

Reaction score
Common and annoying mistakes I still make to this day:

- Calling a process with the wrong variable/selection settings (aka forgetting to set them for every start process block)
- Forgetting that I have to use %selected instead of %default in an event line (usually in interaction-based events like player kill player)
- Treating the set var block as a create list by default for some reason
- Not reserving enough free space when pasting code, so the rest of my code just cuts off and doesn't get pasted (please fix devs)
- My code going completely insane because two local variable names clash in the same process
- Placing a small function or process in the middle of a line to save space but then forgetting its name and where I put it
- Copying code because of lazy then having to change it everywhere when I decide to update it
- Breaking a codespace block with the glitch stick (not a big issue just upsets my ocd)
- Completely filling out a line with a function then having trouble editing it later (mostly on basic/large plots)

And finally:
- Forgetting to place that stupid wait block at the end of for cycles (every time)

That's all I can think of for now, I hope it's at least somewhat relatable

Top Bottom