• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Why is lucky block pvp so popular?

I've played countless PvP games since I joined the server around 4 and a half years ago. Most of them are mediocre and therefore they have a short lifespan: usually these are created within a few days, some people play them for a while, but when they realize the lack of content or progression they never return to them, therefore they quickly fade into oblivion.

Since the server got more popular there were many new plots popping up that had a lot of success. Most of these games had progression systems to keep players engaged, like SputtPvP, The Caverns and even skymine plots (barely a progression system but it still counts). Community-based games centered around resources and creation have also become popular, especially among kids since they're perfect for roleplaying (king-games also belong in this category). Even if I don't enjoy some of the trending games I completely understand why they are being played, except lucky block pvp.

Lucky block pvp is the most popular game on the server by far by having 10-30 players playing every time I look at the trending tab. I absolutely wouldn't have predicted its success, as I got bored after 2 minutes of playing, and I thought that it would suffer the same fate as many similar games in this genre, but it somehow outlived every other trending game possibly ever. This game has no progression whatsoever (afaik), the items are completely unbalanced, looking at the build makes me feel like having a stroke, and it doesn't encourage player decisions or creativity.

Then why is it so addicting to so many players? The only explanation that comes to mind is that it has randomness-related mechanics, but that cannot possibly develop a strong addiction like gambling for example, as there aren't any high stakes and the rewards aren't that special or valuable either.

To any of the lucky block pvp enjoyers out there: am I missing something? Am I supposed to feel extreme levels of excitement and joy while playing it? Is there something the game hides from new players? Is there a lucky block pvp cult? Is there a beautiful and fully detailed RPG under the surface? Jokes aside, I'm genuinely eager to know why so many people play it.

Last edited:

Requals

Disabled
Overlord
Reaction score
Murdering people with protection 5 netherite armor and a sharpness 20 hoe is very satisfying for some people, and some people want to get OP as well

stinkey

Forum adept
Reaction score
I agree
Well, like prince said, abusing new players who are completely helpless with your incredibly unbalanced items is appealing to some people

TheExtremeBurger

Notorious member
Reaction score
(Disclaimer: I'm kind of a noob at the game and I'm not great at writing or getting my point across lol)

I've played this game a little bit and even though I don't fully get it, I think the main thing is the rng-progression about trying to get the most overpowered items possible.

The two things that may make this plot so fun for others is the rng-progression about trying to get the most overpowered items from the rng, and the fact that you can always improve the overpowered items because the maximum enchantment level has no limit.

The RNG of getting good items is pretty small, which makes some players feel the need to keep gambling for these. Getting lucky in the first moments of spawning in really encourages this because you are almost done getting the base-best.

There are enchantment books in this game that allow people to gain and improve enchantments. How the enchantments are applied removes limits of power, and you can gain things such as Sharpness VI, Prot. VII, etc. The need for constant improvement may drive the top players.

There are also a lot of items that can improve how you play. Attribute-Enhancing Armor, Gapples, Potions, Insta-Heal Items, and more. Collecting the best of these items also influences the constant grind for improvement.

Killing the new players is the basic way of gambling for good gear. There are other ways for obtaining lucky blocks, but the issue with these is that it's not as fun (e.x. keep going through a long and tedious maze) and it can be (but rarely always) more rewarding by giving even better lucky blocks, such as armor and weapon exclusive blocks.

The game is also pretty grindy. So much of the RNG is just minimal, and people feel the need to find the luck they need to get a good item.

TLDR; Game is very grindy, OP items can always be improved with unlimited enchantments, Killing new players can give easy and sometimes better loot, There are lots of good items to improve performance

Sputt

Reaction score
(Disclaimer: I'm kind of a noob at the game and I'm not great at writing or getting my point across lol)

I've played this game a little bit and even though I don't fully get it, I think the main thing is the rng-progression about trying to get the most overpowered items possible.

The two things that may make this plot so fun for others is the rng-progression about trying to get the most overpowered items from the rng, and the fact that you can always improve the overpowered items because the maximum enchantment level has no limit.

The RNG of getting good items is pretty small, which makes some players feel the need to keep gambling for these. Getting lucky in the first moments of spawning in really encourages this because you are almost done getting the base-best.

There are enchantment books in this game that allow people to gain and improve enchantments. How the enchantments are applied removes limits of power, and you can gain things such as Sharpness VI, Prot. VII, etc. The need for constant improvement may drive the top players.

There are also a lot of items that can improve how you play. Attribute-Enhancing Armor, Gapples, Potions, Insta-Heal Items, and more. Collecting the best of these items also influences the constant grind for improvement.

Killing the new players is the basic way of gambling for good gear. There are other ways for obtaining lucky blocks, but the issue with these is that it's not as fun (e.x. keep going through a long and tedious maze) and it can be (but rarely always) more rewarding by giving even better lucky blocks, such as armor and weapon exclusive blocks.

The game is also pretty grindy. So much of the RNG is just minimal, and people feel the need to find the luck they need to get a good item.

TLDR; Game is very grindy, OP items can always be improved with unlimited enchantments, Killing new players can give easy and sometimes better loot, There are lots of good items to improve performance

As TheExtremeBurger said, one factor in the popularity is how there's essentially no limit in how powerful gear you can get and killing people can be a lot of fun, plus a major incentive for people to stay on the plot is that they might get really powerful if they play long enough, and then they'll be able to kill people easily too and maybe get revenge on some guy that killed them previously. Another factor to get people to stay ingame is that their progress is reset when they leave, so if a player has got really good gear then they'd stay ingame longer to avoid losing it.

There's also no waiting included; once you join you get forced into combat directly by getting pushed down by slime blocks, and you're immediately granted lucky blocks with both gear and powerful one time use items which allows you to enter a fight the moment you respawn. The map is also huge, and while not the most visually attractive, it has tons of places to explore and contraptions to trap people in, which allows for strategising and it makes combat more interesting.

All this combined, along with the game being very simple and self explanatory, creates a game that attracts a lot of new players (which there's an abundance of since multiple sponsorships) and gets them to stay ingame for more than just a few minutes. The gameplay isn't repetitive but you still know what to expect when you join. It's a great game if you're bored and want something quick to play, and since it's updated frequently it keeps getting older players to come back.

One of the main differences between lucky block pvp and other games is how easy it is to learn. Everything is self explanatory, there are no mechanics that require getting used to, and most people know how a lucky block game works. SputtPVP, for example, was super popular around it's release but gradually died due to the lack of new players and older players leaving, and creating new content was difficult because players were expecting a certain quality standard and for everything to be balanced. New players were deterred because most people were looking for a quick source of entertainment, which SputtPVP didn't provide until you got into the game more, and the lack of updates caused older players to get bored. In lucky block pvp, making new content is both fun and easy, and the game being not perfectly balanced isn't an issue; it's kind of the main attraction of the game, there's no levelling, no long time rewards, you just play for the fun of playing. Yes, it seems simple and uncreative. But that's the point.

(side note, the game wasn't created with all this in mind or anything, it just became super popular all of a sudden and evolved over time)

EvilsSouls

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
As TheExtremeBurger said, one factor in the popularity is how there's essentially no limit in how powerful gear you can get and killing people can be a lot of fun, plus a major incentive for people to stay on the plot is that they might get really powerful if they play long enough, and then they'll be able to kill people easily too and maybe get revenge on some guy that killed them previously. Another factor to get people to stay ingame is that their progress is reset when they leave, so if a player has got really good gear then they'd stay ingame longer to avoid losing it.

There's also no waiting included; once you join you get forced into combat directly by getting pushed down by slime blocks, and you're immediately granted lucky blocks with both gear and powerful one time use items which allows you to enter a fight the moment you respawn. The map is also huge, and while not the most visually attractive, it has tons of places to explore and contraptions to trap people in, which allows for strategising and it makes combat more interesting.

All this combined, along with the game being very simple and self explanatory, creates a game that attracts a lot of new players (which there's an abundance of since multiple sponsorships) and gets them to stay ingame for more than just a few minutes. The gameplay isn't repetitive but you still know what to expect when you join. It's a great game if you're bored and want something quick to play, and since it's updated frequently it keeps getting older players to come back.

One of the main differences between lucky block pvp and other games is how easy it is to learn. Everything is self explanatory, there are no mechanics that require getting used to, and most people know how a lucky block game works. SputtPVP, for example, was super popular around it's release but gradually died due to the lack of new players and older players leaving, and creating new content was difficult because players were expecting a certain quality standard and for everything to be balanced. New players were deterred because most people were looking for a quick source of entertainment, which SputtPVP didn't provide until you got into the game more, and the lack of updates caused older players to get bored. In lucky block pvp, making new content is both fun and easy, and the game being not perfectly balanced isn't an issue; it's kind of the main attraction of the game, there's no levelling, no long time rewards, you just play for the fun of playing. Yes, it seems simple and uncreative. But that's the point.

(side note, the game wasn't created with all this in mind or anything, it just became super popular all of a sudden and evolved over time)
i wanted to make like almost the same game as you, now, because i have the idea i said to you about gambeling, and i already codet it, so i would have given you the code or just made my own game, and i like that you said no to see it, because all my other projects got abandon so than i have smth to code on, i just wanted to ask you if it is okay if i copy you, and take some itemsot of your game in to my game, i will ofcourse credit you

HENLO_OMTEGU

Forum adept
Reaction score
I played Lucky Block PVP on the first ad, played for like 3 seconds and left.

Top Bottom