• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Shining clarity on "Admin inactivity"

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
Hey there,

This thread is dedicated to helping give clarity to rumors that were taken too far with negativity and some harassment that has taken place prior. It is a bit heavy, but I wanted to post this because this has been going on for as long as I can remember. This thread is purely out of tiredness and another push to give closure and clarity with due to the idea that we aren't heard in these issues, ever. Some only see what they want to see; a lot of the time it reminds me of cognitive distortions—namely distortions of emotional reasoning, always being right, "make a mountain out of a molehill", mental filtering, and jumping to conclusions (such as mind reading and labeling). I've seen all of these things take place countless times over these past few months alone, and it's what makes rumors worse; it's that reinforcement of confidence that you think something is true when it really isn't. I hope this thread clears up a few things.

"Admins are inactive"​

Some of us are a bit inactive. We have life, college, work, relationships and family to work out, and it's never ending. We are volunteers here, for instead of deciding to work more on an assignment or project, or spend that extra time with my significant other, I along with the other admins pour that into managing the server/community.

We aren't active 24/7. Compared to support staff and moderators, our admin team is filled with adults making that next step in life. Many of us admins have more life experience and have grown, making many of us better mentally equipped to handle situations; hence it is not easy replacing an admin, like, at all; the characteristic and capability parameters we look for are very precise. Look into how many admins we get each year. Moreover, it's not always that same experience we had as a kid, wanting to open up Minecraft and play DiamondFire all the time. It's reality now and many of us including me grew up a lot, and with life itself, we aren't able to show up at all times. We do however—all admins—put in effort and volunteer our time to help out the server and/or community, even if some of us aren't always there. Each admin is a vital asset to the team. Even if some don't show up all the time like players want us to, we all try to get things done when we have a chance to. With any of the admins leaving the team—it would hinder the whole admin team in some way. And those who work more in the background and aren't as active: we still need those admins. Sooner or later, we are going to have a discussion and their input will assist all of us and make an impact, such as on server rules, policies, programs, security situations, and other sorts of things.

"They don't talk in Discord, they must be inactive"​

This is the most half-baked rumor yet.

I've heard this one fly over to us countless times, with people pinging those admins or going as far as actually criticizing and harassing them. Yeah, seriously. We aren't required to chat. Seriously. What is infuriating and confusing is that players seem to think we must publicly chat to everyone to be active, which is 100% incorrect. I can seriously permanently drop off the face of the community, especially on Discord, for the rest of my time here as a staff member and not chat in public channels, unless our job requires us to post an announcement or communicate information to the public, or if the administration needs assistance in a public matter involving a situation or a player/group of players.

In fact, many of us are actually moving away from public channels—including me—and muting them because of harassment/toxicity, and rumors about things that everyone of course has to believe because "it must be true" even without much evidence. Those who don't chat in public channels simply decided not to chat in those public channels, but it does not mean they are "dead". It is not required to chat. It's not in all of our jobs' description. It's not even in mine. We do however try to fill that desire that players seem to want and make a big deal out of: admins chatting with them. However, it has gotten to a point where it's mental health over filling the community's personal desires. We aren't able to be the community's personal chat bot. We are just human, volunteering our time here with everything else we have to do, optionally personally deciding to chat with you all.

After all of this, we do try to talk to all of you. I really do try. But the reason some of us are less communicative as we were before was because of the negativity and rumors that are publicly talked about, and even went forth to shame members of the admin team—literally—because of it. "Admins are so inactive"—from the perception of it, it all mostly comes from negativity/complaining and us not filling a desire, which encourages us to chat even less. And after all of that, I still try, but please remember it's not in our job description. I can leave the public side any time I want—and then get complained about for being inactive despite the hours I volunteer each week—but I choose to try to stick around time to time.

I hope this pours some light into these rumors. Please, do not believe something just because someone says something. It's logic 101. Some of us aren't always active, some of us chime in time to time and aren't always there, and that's okay, because every single member of the team makes an impact and has already made an extreme impact which got us to the admin team in the first place, and if we aren't active, it does not change a single thing; it's just peoples' personal desire wanting to be filled (and if it's not, we risk getting gaslighted). If someone goes inactive and their job doesn't depend on that, it doesn't change a thing for the community, but a lot of people just want it to make it their problem and spit out negativity just to spit out negativity.

At the end of the day, we work hard to get things out, even if it's in the background. We don't get appreciation for much that we do and we still thrive to volunteer and make an impact. And at the end of the day, never ever public shame or harass anyone; we are all people, remember that. It is never the way, ever

Thank you all for being awesome, I hope this shined light. Keep it real 🖤

Last edited:

ARMcPro

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
i didn't mean to be toxic 😟
i just wanted to know cuz like lily discord admin xd should chat on discord maybe probably cuz discord admin xdddd

Refrizor

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Reaction score
i didn't mean to be toxic 😟
i just wanted to know cuz like lily discord admin xd should chat on discord maybe probably cuz discord admin xdddd
Naw not toxic at all, it's a widespread thing that's being rumored about, it wasn't centered on you, I needed to post it anyway 😝 More so to protect the others from unfair shaming so we can get some breathing room. I planned to post a google document about a month or two ago and never went through with it and figured I'd spend some time getting this out

Top Bottom