• Hey! Register here to create your account, engage with the community, and talk about what is new!

Short DF Rant

Jimmy_The_Knight

Reaction score
I don't know if anybody feels the same way, but after CommandGeek joined the most noticeable thing that dropped wasn't the server TPS, but the average maturity of the playerbase. Honestly, I didn't mind this until I realized how it affects the community's general taste in minigames.

The first time I experienced this change was when I recently released my new parkour game that I worked countless hours on. Its mechanics are a bit more complicated than a basic parkour plot's, and I knew perfectly that the game got challenging towards the end, but seeing around 50% of the players struggle and give up at the VERY FIRST JUMP and failing to understand a simple game mechanic baffled me. These players were always one of the newbies who joined around a week ago.

I really don't mind that they create amateurish games, as I also used to do that when I was new. The problem is that they prefer playing games like the ones they want to create: generic kitpvps, grindy survivals and boring parkour plots. No wonder that nowadays I don't see people playing plots made by professionals with excellent gameplay and innovative ideas (for example Blockparty, Gunrage 4 or PushTuff). This makes playing on the server really repetitive and boring by having to adjust to the new players' painfully low standards. Also, I can't even play my favorite multiplayer games anymore (like Arsenal by endersaltz), as it's impossible to bait players due to the high player count.

I'm not saying that there aren't any quality games being played: I had a lot of fun with games like The Atlas Cube, Breania and Bending Arena, but the ever-growing number of lazily made CP grab plots and their popularity scares me. I also find myself playing on my own plots a lot more, because I simply cannot find a decent game to play.

I considered starting another project, but I feel like it's not the time to do it. As long as people praise flat and hastily made games, there's no reason to work passionately on plots, or to play on the server at all. There are a few actual video games I'm currently making, and I feel like it would be a lot wiser to spend my time developing those.

titedog

Reaction score
People have always praised crappy games, for 3 years now it has been hard to get attention for my long worked on projects. If anything, CommandGeek opened a much bigger audience to games because now I actually get people joining my plot when I make in ad, which before I would most likely get 1 or 2 people unless it was a joke ad.

Requals

Disabled
Overlord
Reaction score
your parkour game brings me down to 12 fps though so its unplayable

UltraCraftGames

Notorious member
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody feels the same way, but after CommandGeek joined the most noticeable thing that dropped wasn't the server TPS, but the average maturity of the playerbase. Honestly, I didn't mind this until I realized how it affects the community's general taste in minigames.

The first time I experienced this change was when I recently released my new parkour game that I worked countless hours on. Its mechanics are a bit more complicated than a basic parkour plot's, and I knew perfectly that the game got challenging towards the end, but seeing around 50% of the players struggle and give up at the VERY FIRST JUMP and failing to understand a simple game mechanic baffled me. These players were always one of the newbies who joined around a week ago.

I really don't mind that they create amateurish games, as I also used to do that when I was new. The problem is that they prefer playing games like the ones they want to create: generic kitpvps, grindy survivals and boring parkour plots. No wonder that nowadays I don't see people playing plots made by professionals with excellent gameplay and innovative ideas (for example Blockparty, Gunrage 4 or PushTuff). This makes playing on the server really repetitive and boring by having to adjust to the new players' painfully low standards. Also, I can't even play my favorite multiplayer games anymore (like Arsenal by endersaltz), as it's impossible to bait players due to the high player count.

I'm not saying that there aren't any quality games being played: I had a lot of fun with games like The Atlas Cube, Breania and Bending Arena, but the ever-growing number of lazily made CP grab plots and their popularity scares me. I also find myself playing on my own plots a lot more, because I simply cannot find a decent game to play.

I considered starting another project, but I feel like it's not the time to do it. As long as people praise flat and hastily made games, there's no reason to work passionately on plots, or to play on the server at all. There are a few actual video games I'm currently making, and I feel like it would be a lot wiser to spend my time developing those.
Commandgeek commandgeek commandgeek!

TechStreet

Overlord
Reaction score

CommandGeek!

Maxs

Reaction score
change my mind: game of confusion is bad
it's not bad, it's an alright game but imagine if every single ytber that made a game on df advertised it on yt, I mean do you just compare your CP with the one of a person with over 100k more followers than you? Just leave it be and the game itself was a pretty good showcase of what stuff you could do in DF and well it has given us alot of new and hopefully staying players

Ashli

Server Developer
Developer
Reaction score
it's not bad, it's an alright game but imagine if every single ytber that made a game on df advertised it on yt, I mean do you just compare your CP with the one of a person with over 100k more followers than you? Just leave it be and the game itself was a pretty good showcase of what stuff you could do in DF and well it has given us alot of new and hopefully staying players

Sure wish they prepared the servers before opening the floodgates to potentially 100k people.

General_Mudkip

Retired Moderator
Overlord
Reaction score
Welcome to DiamondFire. Five years ago it was parkour plots, then Kit PvPs, then Escapists, then Clickers, Creative Build Plots, DF Place, the list goes on. There will always be low-effort plots, people who like to play on them, and of course the rant post. I do agree that higher effort plots deserver more attention, but as I've said many times before, most players just aren't playing the server to commit time/effort into learning a new system. Make it engaging, fun, and have good progression throughout, and more people will play it. Making high effort, high skill plots caters to a certain section of the community, and you have to recognise that before setting your expectations.

Jimmy_The_Knight

Reaction score
Welcome to DiamondFire. Five years ago it was parkour plots, then Kit PvPs, then Escapists, then Clickers, Creative Build Plots, DF Place, the list goes on. There will always be low-effort plots, people who like to play on them, and of course the rant post. I do agree that higher effort plots deserver more attention, but as I've said many times before, most players just aren't playing the server to commit time/effort into learning a new system. Make it engaging, fun, and have good progression throughout, and more people will play it. Making high effort, high skill plots caters to a certain section of the community, and you have to recognise that before setting your expectations.
You're right, I've realized that nothing really changed drastically, also the situation is getting better now as people who only cared about game of confusion have already left.

realRoforbYT

Forum adept
Reaction score

The explosion of new players is causing lag as well. The TPS has dropped down to 12.95 already and that is with the help of a Terran Gen. I too find myself playing Random PvP (my plot) and having fun testing new things I add for fun like the Super Riptide + Elytra and the Parkour I’ve made. But also I find myself going to games made by admins and older players like Spruttruim Inc 2 by Sputt and Frycode by FrenchFryFan. We are very lucky this thing didn’t happen with Happyheart‘s video on DF.

Noah

Forum adept
Reaction score
sponsorships are evil is what i always say

Max

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
In my opinion those are the better players to market to though
Give an example? I for one think that commandgeek was a great audience to market to. His content is literally about creating things, so it is likely that his audience wants to create things, but just doesn't have the time or resources to learn how to mod the game.

Vulcano

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
Give an example? I for one think that commandgeek was a great audience to market to. His content is literally about creating things, so it is likely that his audience wants to create things, but just doesn't have the time or resources to learn how to mod the game.
I agree it was mostly great to market to, but for a server intended to teach coding, which requires time/effort, I would have thought the people would be more comfortable doing those things, and I'm kinda surprised his audience isn't, but I haven't seen many of his videos.

Max

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree it was mostly great to market to, but for a server intended to teach coding, which requires time/effort, I would have thought the people would be more comfortable doing those things, and I'm kinda surprised his audience isn't, but I haven't seen many of his videos.
So you agree, from a business perspective, this was one of the best if not best move to make to expand the playerbase?

Vulcano

Forum adept
Overlord
Reaction score
So you agree, from a business perspective, this was one of the best if not best move to make to expand the playerbase?
I agree it was a good marketing move, there are a few things in hindsight that would have been better, but I think the performance of the video exceeded expectations lol

Top Bottom